General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight help

i have a '93 f2 and i am mounting up a set of head lights from a '08 1000rr and i need help going from a three wire setup to a 2 wire and i cant get both the high and low beams...i have gone through 4 fuses and am getting nowhere i got high beams just not low...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 PM

So your going from a 3 wire, low beam/ high beam setup, and trying to connect so you have on a constant low beam, and the high beam kick on when its needed correct?

(1) Im not sure the best approach. But you could run the low beam off of a constant ignition hot. Meaning, find a wire that is hot whenever the ignition is on, place a relay from that source and run that wire for your low beam side of the headlight. Then, use your ground and high beam wire from your original headlight plug and run that to your high beam.

(2) Or, you could run the low beam side of the harness to the low beam, then run the high beam to the high beam side, but install a relay between the high beam wire and the low beam wire. When the high beam is switced on, it will turn on the high beam, but also with relay, it will keep power going to the low beam side.

either one should give you your constant low beam and turn on your high beam. However, for simplicity, I think I would go with number one.

Also worth meantioning, Im sure you know, but just in case, you realize that only one side is low beam and one side is high correct? They are not high and low beams on both lamps. They run H7 bulbs, which are single filiment bulbs.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 AM

will it hurt them to run them both high or low?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 AM

Im not really sure what your asking. If you asking can you run both headlights at the same time, as in one high beam and one low beam, then yes you can. But I don't think the stock relay will supply enough power for both headlights. You will more than likely have to follow what I said earlier and install a relay to run one of the headlights.

If your asking can both bulbs work as high and lows, then no, as they are single filiment bulb. also, the reflectors are different for each side. One side has a high beam reflector, and the other has a low beam reflector.

If your asking is it ok to run the highbeam all the time. then yes. Its advisable to run your high beam during the day so cars are better able to see you. However, you would want to run just your low beam at night while cars are coming at you.