General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghetto Exhaust Moddin

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghetto Exhaust Moddin

So I went through to a breakers last night and picked up a old, tatty F1/F2 exhaust for my bike. Theres nothing wrong with the one thats on it, its just im after a can I can mod to give me some noise for winter. I dont want to hack up the stock can wich is mint.

Now, as I was leaving the breakers I spotted another F2 that was being stripped down. I asked the boy whats happening with the can on it and hes like 'oh Ill sell it for say... £50'. I cant remember the make but it was a carbon fibre effect shiney beast with mid pipe included. Couldnt believe it, If I wasnt running late Id of hit up a cash machine and snapped it up.

I do intend to go back and get this pipe but for now I have this £12 pipe that I want to do something with. I think my only option is to take it to a shop and get them to shorten the end can but this could cost more than what the £50 can would.

Anyone any ''ghetto'' idea's?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM

I wouldnt do it. It will sounds like crap and you will more than likley loose power. The muffler is designed to pull the exhaust gasses out and is tuned to do so. Once you mod it by shortening or by gutting it, it can create turbulance within the muffler and can actually hold the pulses back, thus making less power.

Your best bet would be to go and buy the slip on right away and don't waste your time or money on the Ghetto idea.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Would making it into a under-peg style exhaust be an idea? I have enough spare tubing to construct something like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuiiVFUiiww

This sounds good to me even though its a touch obnoxious. My main worry is all these 'straight pipes burn out exhaust valves' caper. No one seems to know for sure what the score is.

Also, I hate this sound. Play the video below and scroll down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZHuoz_imDM

Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Right well after giving the pipe a good shake most of it fell out in the form of rust. The more I man handled the can the more came out.

So temptation kinda got the better of me and I hacked it to bits. This is the result.

Took her out for a quick spin round the village and even though I wasnt pushing hard I couldnt really spot that much power loss. I was also very impressed at how smooth the engine sounded with the new CCT. Well, what I could hear of the engine.

This is very obnoxious sounding and I dare say the stock is going back on tomorrow night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzh0HGJWxGs

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya man... just sounds cheap and obnoxious. I know it's a chunk of change, but for me putting a slipon on (Yoshi RS3) gave me just what I wanted. From about 6-10k the thing really has a more aggressive sound, but around the lower end the differences are much more subtle. I just couldn't be that disrespectful of my neighbors and the general public to have something like this. (not to mention I think it sounds like butthole anyhow )

Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM

call me crazy, stupid, a**hole (hey, i get called those every day) but im a man and love anything thats loud! lol. granted, I wouldnt ride a bike that loud for every-day riding, but itd be fun on the weekends or just "everyonce-and-a-while" lol. I guess its like havin a muscle car in your garage that you take out only when you get that wild hair up your ***.

my bike actually came with a hollow can and it was unbearably loud so i packed mine with some fiberglass mat, maybe something you can look into on modding that spare can you bought.

ps I thought that yamaha sounded sick at idle... like the sound of a cam'ed engine. not a 1920's 2 cylinder tractor lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 PM

i have the vance and hines on my f2 that came on it and it sounds really good. i say either stay stock or get the slip on. the cut job just doesnt sounds great.

on a side note, does that first bike seem to have a slipping clutch or something.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:55 PM

I've got a TBR full system, can chopped 8". Loud, but not too bad

Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM

i keep hearing about power loss from shortening the can or just running straight pipe like alot of fightrs do. but its really just about sound init?
ive posted this question a coupla times now w no feedback, but really
HOW DOES A MUFFLER HELP YOUR POWER? im not sayin it doesnt, i just cant figure it out. TUNED mufflers w. baffles or a stepdown/ cone forcethe backpressure up a bit to add power to the return stroke of the piston. but a straight pipe with some wadding around it doesnt seem like it can make much difference. PLEASE help me out here...
i am about to do a mod on my muffler as well
what are the aspects that we should be taking into account in the design of the new can?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM

the mini muffler in the video sounds flat and empty... i dont know the right words to describe it but it doesnt sound strong. like it wands a bit of resistance- a smaller exit hole .
like how you cant whistle with your mouth wide open.
thats the best i can think of to describe what its missing in my mind.

Quick Reply: Ghetto Exhaust Moddin