General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank problem

A while back I had a problem with my bike. It stalled and I couldn't get it to start up. After a little digging I found I had rust in my tank. Prior to me finding this my retard uncle decided to "fix" it. After his tinkering with the tank and lines the drain tube out the bottom of the tank started leaking gas.

I took the tank in to have it acid washed and that took care of the rust. I cleaned the carbs out and it ran great. The only problem is I had to plug the drain tube so it would quit leaking. Anyone know what my uncle could have done to start this leaking problem? I was told that the acid wash ate a hole through the tube inside the tank and this can't be fixed. If that is the case is it true that the tube inside the tank can't be fixed?

I don't think it was the acid was that caused the leak cuz it was leaking before the acid wash because of what my uncle did.

This is on a 96 CBR 600F3, but I would think this situation would apply to most bikes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas tank problem

Ok, this happens alot in cars, and I am guessing same applies anywhere.

First question is, its the hose that is leaking?

If it isn't, and it is actually the tank itself, here are some options.

1.Quick Steel: its a puddy that you can get at walmart that does a pretty good job at sealing leaks, I have used it on oil pans before, you kneed it, squish it on there, flatten it out, let it dry and wha lah! sand and paint accordingly

2. Take your tank to a welding shop, and have it TIG welded. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE they know how to tig weld and they have the proper tig rig. if they do, it will work awsome. If not, they will make that thing a sive.

If its the hose, you can replace it. I cant fathom why you couldn't. if worse comes to worse, splice, and Im sure you can buy stuff like that for our bikes (I have a 96 F3, too). Check ebay, they have cheap stuff like that all the time.

Sorry for the book, but I hope it helps!
See ya and good luck!