General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Issue CBR929RR???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Issue CBR929RR???

Sorry if this is a re-post. I searched the site and couldn't find a post with my particular issue. I recently purchased a 2001 cbr929rr. I absolutely love the bike. Only issue I had came last week when I was riding and the bike started losing power. I rolled the throttle to try and keep it going but eventually it completely died. Everything still works lights exc. But whenever I crank the bike it cranks like it wants to start but never actually turns over. I didn't hit the kill switch And I had a half of take of gas. To double check I filled it with gas but still no go. Through the advice of a buddy I poured a little gas straight into the carbs and it does start after that. However as soon as it burns off the gas I poured into the carbs it shuts right back off. I spent every last dime I had into this bike and I don't have the money to pay a mechanic to fix it. So any advice on how to get it back running would be greatly appreciated. On a side note I made a rookie mistake by not checking the oil level when I bought the bike and when it shut off I checked the oil level and it was nearly empty. I bought 3 quarts of the oil specified and added more.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel pressure regulator.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would lean towards the fuel pump not working. Turn your key to the on position and you should hear the pump cycle for about 2 seconds. If it doesn't cycle, there is something wrong there. You should hear a hum.

You can also remove your fuel line and run it into a container. There is a specified amount of gas for 10 seconds of operation. You'll have to refer to a service manual for the spec on that particular bike though.

The FPR is a good place to check as metioned by letsride. You can pull the vacuum line off and see if there is gas present. If there is gas in the vacuum line, the FPR is bad.

But, a few other things you should tell us. How many miles on the bike, has it ever been layed down. Does it have all of the plastics?

The reason I ask is it could be a number of things that may not be obvious. One being the Bank Angle Sensor. If the wires came loose or it shifted, it will cut power to the fuel pump. There is also a fuel stop relay that cuts power to the fuel pump that may be worth looking into.