General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Cleaner....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner....

Hey guys, was at wally-world today (damn, i hate working there already) and saw all the various types of fuel injector cleaners... it got me to thinking. If the injectors are dirty on a car/truck you dump some of this in and its supposed to clean deposits and what not. Would it have any benefit in our bikes? (ie. 2003 600rr) I know a few people who use it religiously(sp) in their trucks every other tank of gas. Ill admit, they have some of the cleanest running engines Ive seen in awhile.

anyway... just somethin to throw out there. thanks for any input,

Chris

Old 08-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Injector Cleaner....

In my opinon those fuel injector additives you see on the shelf of parts stores, etc are a waste of money. The oil companies spend millions of dollars on R&D and have put cleaning additives in their fuels already ie Chevron has techron in it. Having said that, I have used the concentrated fuel injector cleaners which are for professional use, pressurized using a tool specifically for this pupose and ran through the fuel injectors at 100% concentration (not diluted with gallons of gas like the off the shelf variety). Sometimes that has made a noticeable differance but the differance is mostly to do with the carbon the cleaner has removed fom the back side of the intake valve and the top of the piston. You can do the same thing by spraying intake cleaner through your throttle bodies. What I have tried recently which impressed me was that SeaFoam stuff, it made a noticeable differance on my wifes car and on a co-workers van. I have not heard of anyone trying it on a bike but it's just an engine so should work good there too.

Sorry about rambling on. My short answer to your question is no I don't think off the shelf fuel injector cleaners are worth the cash.