General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT TIRE WEAR...EVER WONDER

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FRONT TIRE WEAR...EVER WONDER

canada is seasonal so how many months out of the year can you actually put hard miles like I do on all seven of your bikes. the last 13 years I've been riding you've probably spent slowing down. no theories...just basic geometry. you didn't check your tread depth yet did you. pick the bike with the most miles on ithe tires. allthough if you got seven of them the tires don't get broken in much im guessing. and I may have had 5 bikes in the past 6 years but I've had and ridden a broad spectrum of bikes as long as I've been riding. so yeah...maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not slowing down... Again nice theory.Have you considered your tire wear pattern may be related to your riding style? Do you like to go faster up the hill or down? Again is anybody else experiencing this uneven wear? All machines I own are sport bikes 4 600cc 2 750s and one 1000cc. 9 years as an instructor...what would I know?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM

MUCH RESPECT sir. pardon me if I seemed a little cocky. I though I was dealing with someone trying to push buttons with me. (refer to the thread How to wheelie on the highway and you'll see what I mean. we could have used you on that one haha.) Its just something that I've noticed on all my bikes, bandits, gixxers, cbrs, and fzrs. also I recall my friends pointing out that they needed new tires and noting that the left allways seemed more worn than the right. I've had 2 serious wrecks due to aggressive riding and have actually toned my riding down since I wrecked my cbr1000. (the last wreck, the first was a 600) that's why I stretched my 900 lol. kinda keeps me in check. but aggressive or not they still wear the same. I don't know...to each is own I guess on this one.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM

here's the link to the site I read. aloha
http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say we contact mythbusters and let them have a go at this one!LOL

Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 AM

LMAO...SERIOUSLY!!!...I THINK YOU AND I HAVE SOME QUALITY PROGRAM MATERIAL HERE. this would make for a pretty good show. im a bit of a bookworm and I've read about a lot of the myths they tested before they put em on the show but this would definitely be a good one for them. haha. as it is right now I feel like the younger guy and youre the older guy with the handlebar moustache (no pun intended) im lookin into emailing them tomorrow ...haha...seriously.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Well I just sent the question to them on their forum board. It has to clear admin. first but heres what I put. hopefully they'll go for it.

Here's one guys...I recently came across an interesting article on tire wear on a motorcycle. i discovered it cause i was wondering why the left side of my front tire always tended to wear more than the right side.
here's the link, http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/
i posted this info in a bike forum that i go to now and then and another member and I both have differing opinions about the info on that site. The conflict is that hes a 32 year rider and instructor and im a 13 year rider with a few hard learned lessons i.e. CRASH BANG BOOM...but i've allways noticed that type of wear not only on my bikes but on other peoples bikes to. heres the link to our gentlemans argument...lol

https://cbrforum.com/m_708665/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
this is definately one for you guys