General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forks question on F4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forks question on F4i

Quick question I had a set of forks from a parts bike I parted out to fix my 05 at any rate they were rusted and I figured I could clean them up and use them. However rust came off but pits were left behind. Buddy of mine said I couldn't use them or they would tear up my fork seals. So I found a set of forks for 70.00 bucks locally that the tops the adjustment caps have damage on them ground a lil he sys they are straight and are perfect otherwise. So I was thinking if I took the tops out of the rust ones and put them in his good ones would that work or would I need all new seals and everything to make it work? Also it appears the top adjustment caps just screw off with a box wrench. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the top caps thread off. Be aware, they can have some minor pressure behind them.

Yes, you can swap them w/ the other forks.

Yes, while you are doing that, changing the dust & oil seals & fluid would be a good idea. Its super easy to do. Just follow the procedure in the factory Honda service manual - Section 13. Everything you need to know is there. You'll need a 43mm fork seal driver (or DIY pvc type) & basic hand tools to do the work.

Re: Your pitted forks: It really depends on how badly pitted they are as to if they can still be used. If the pitting is minor, you can use very fine sandpaper/emory cloth to smooth out/polish the pitting - making the tube smooth again. If its smooth, the seals will install right over any minor pitting that may be left. It all depends on the degree of which the pitting has gotten to.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotcbr thanks again man that's the second time you have helped out I appreciate it. Is there a safe heavier oil to put in that wouldn't blow out the seals but help me out as I am a heavier rider 260lbs.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to help.

Re: Fork oil: Honda recommends Pro Honda SS-8 fork fluid (which is actually 10wt suspension oil) for the F4i Showa forks for optimal rebound & handling given the other components. I would only go over that +1, which is 15wt. Any quality fork oil/fluid will suffice; ProHonda, Spectro, Belray, etc.

The use of heavier fluids/oils may help taylor your forks better for certain weight/ riding conditions but the 10w works best to provide the widest range of adjustment from your stock valving. Only go to heavier weight if you cannot achieve the proper dampening for your requirements with the stock adjusters.

You'd be surprised at what a 'simple' fork service can do to give renewed feel of your front suspension. Changing the fork seals (both dust & oil) & changing fluid will do wonders. Of course, you want to inspect the other components; springs, rings, etc, to determine if still in spec or to determine if replacement is needed.

Once you've done your fork service, you should be able to get proper adjustment for your weight & riding style. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, you can send your forks to RaceTech, etc, to have them do a full inspection, service, & tayloring to your needs.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by gotcbr; 04-27-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: sp