General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Wreck - Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fork Wreck - Rebuild

INTRO.
Okay so I can not find any good Rebuild threads online for what I am about to undertake. First the disclaimer. I am NOT a professional motorcycle tech, nor do I have official training. That being said I did go to college for Architecture and Engineering, I have also been wrenching since I was old enough to climb up over the bumper and see what's under the hood. I have found there are certain Principles I learned that hold true for everything. Lefty loosy/righty tighty, internal combustion is all the same breed, and generally speaking if I can get it apart I can probably put it back together, AND YOUR MANUFACTURER WILL LIE THROUGH THERE TEETH TO KEEP YOU FROM SAVING MONEY BY AVOIDING THEM.

THE WRECK
I installed a set of RaceTech Gold Valve 2 weeks ago. The increase in performance was fantastic, for 2 days. on the second day of Testing I decided to visit some family that live out a dirt road. Long story short, loose gravel, sharp corner, F4I, tree, 3.5 hour concussion induced waking black-out. The event left me with 2 broken neck vertebrae and 4 in my back, 5 busted ribs, one broken shoulder blade, and a number of serious bruises including my lungs and a helmet nearly broke in half. For The bike, Crushed front rim, bent left and a right fork broken off at the tree. The fairings, headlight, cluster, front brackets, and radiator are a total loss.

PARTS
So after some research I discovered that I can get new fork tubes through a couple of sources for less than factory pricing.@
Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc.
Race Tech Suspension
the other parts I will acquire through this forum, Ebay, or Maxsalvage Home Page I also have a list of other motorcycle yards though-out the USA and can make that information available as requested.

THE FORKS
So here is where the UNCERTAINTY lies. I just rebuilt my cartridges at some heavy expense, I don't want to buy OEM ones just to rebuild them. I need to replace both the dampening rod (fluid compression/cartridge rod) as well as the inner adjustment rod (has adjustment needle on the lower end). It is my belief that I should be able to take an measurement of the ID and OD of both rods as well as a length measurement and order steel tubing. I would the cut and thread the tubing myself and have a machinist friend crimp the adjustment needle on as the factory has it.
Needles to say the Dealer/Stealer wants me to buy an all new cartridge.

ANYBODY EVER HEARD OF THIS BEING DONE? WHAT ARE OTHER POSSIBILITIES? ANY IDEAS OF PROBLEMS OR POSSIBLE ISSUES?
!!THANKS!!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Why not pick up a used set of forks and swap out your springs and valves?

....or since you need a wheel and other stuff anyway, convert it to an inverted set up.

Have you checked the neck on the frame? My last bike that took a front end hit that was half that bad, broke out the neck where it holds the lower race in for the bearings. It looked fine, until I took it apart.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Haven't had it apart yet, I'm still in the neck brace and cant really move very well. thought about the fork swap just unsure of what trees will swap in? also its about the same to buy new tubes as it is get a set used and then i don't have to worry about if they are actually straight.

guess i gotta get eyes on the neck before any of this even matters.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM

this is My second rebuild and this time she gets only the absolute minimum plus a crash cage and stunt sprocket already has a -2 +2 with a 520 conversion

Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Get well soon!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

So I am thinking about selling the bike. the neck as it turns out shows no signs of breaking, cracking or buckling. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Its not quite a big enough bike for me as I am 6'3'' 225. is mostly intact except it needs a cluster, headlight, wheel, forks, radiator, and a rotor to be a good street fighter/ stunt bike( I would also want a cage). I know I want a bigger bike but should I sell to buy or rebuild it for my own beater bike to stunt and just buy another bike on the side? I also have a buddy that doesn't have the money to buy a bike that i would like to be able to ride with. I'm not sure what to do some of my family say the bike is cursed cuz I always have to fix it but I dont believe it. She was my first so saying goodbye is really hard. I love wheelies and stunts so if it was caged and geared I could have a lot of fun with her still , its already -2+2 so gearing isn't even essential. THOUGHTS?

Last edited by LT.Dan603; 09-05-2013 at 09:32 PM.