General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forgot...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forgot...

So i was replacing my blinkers and headlamp and trrying to get the right combination to match my after market turns and i accidentally blew a fuse. (the red 10 in the box)[furthest foward] Well i did not have another 10 to replace it with so i threw a 20 in temporily until i got the lights dialed in.
I know, could have been worse blah blah "do not EVER replace a fuse with one of higher ampage yadda yadda..."

It was just supposed to be temp. *cough. I forgot about it and left it in there and things were good until i threw a couple miles on the bike and it heated a bit. The front aftermarkets ended up melting the mock carbon fiber cases but did not burn out the bulb. The rear leds were fine. So i am going to replace the fronts with leds as well (because they seem to be able to handle more current too) . My question is: Once i replace the fuse to the correct size and install new turns should i be okay?

Could it have been the way they were wired?

As it is most aftermarkets come with only two wires. A hot and a ground.
In the front though i have to install them a two to one for the signal to function correctly. Could it have been that double splice that burnt them and not the bigger fuse? Is it possible that i will need a regulator in order to install these aftermarkets safely.

These are not the first aftermarkets i have burnt. The first set was the rears which actually only burnt the bulb out. aND THAT WAS WITH THE RIGHT FUSES IN PLACE.

?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 PM

I just capped the third wire when I installed my aftermarkets. You wont have running lights. But splicing the two wire into one wouldn't cause that. It sounds like they where just getting to much power with the higher rated fuse.

Use resistors for your LEDs to limit the blink rate.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

I agree with that. Ive wired up all leds on my bike the same way you did, just with the fuse im supposed to have. They work great, never blown, and havnt popped the fuse. Good luck, Im sure youll get it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Ye, i want my fronts to be running lights as well.
thankyou guys