General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fluid leaking from alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007 | 09:16 PM
Default fluid leaking from alternator

Hello I am new to the forum and I just bought an 1998 F3 as my first bike. Unfortunately there seems to be fluid leaking from the alternator. The bike was in an accident and dropped onto its left side. The alternator cover is cracked and when the bike is running fluid leaks out. It looks as if it is motor oil. Also the bike does not shift into gears. Anybody know where I can pick up a working transmission? Thanks.
Dan

Old 10-08-2007 | 09:51 PM
Ironmang
Default RE: fluid leaking from alternator

That would indeed be motor oil leaking out of your stator cover. Definitely get that fixed ASAP... you don't want oil slinging onto your rear tire and causing a crash[:-] If it's cracked your best bet is to just replace it, they're cheap, and don't forget the gasket!

As far as the trans.... I dunno that's a pretty major job. You might want to get it checked out first to make sure the trans itself is indeed no good. It could just be a shift drum or something like that, you never know. I'd figure out exactly what's causing the problem before doing major work like replacing the trans But if you do want one there's usually plenty of them on ebay, or just buy a complete motor and trans... usually lots of them on ebay or craigslist. Also check the classifieds on any sportbike forums you're on

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:34 PM

Thanks a lot Jared for replying so fast. After looking more closely it looks like the tie rod for the gearshift pedal is bent. Although I dont think that is the reason it doesnt go into gear, I'll have to see more closely if it is obstructing the gearshift pedal. If i took the transmission apart do you think the problem would be noticeable to the novice eyes, or am I going to see a whole bunch of gears and total confusion?

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:58 PM
Ironmang

If the shifter linkage is bent then that will most definitely cause it to not shift properly. BUT, there also may be an underlying reason that it's bent. If something in the shifter drum is locked up and the shift lever was forced one way or the other it may have bent the rod. Either way replace that rod with a straight one and see what it does from there. Little stuff first.

I'm not sure whether a problem would be visibly apparent or not... just kinda depends on what it is and how bad the failure was. But I'd definitely start with the shift linkage rod

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:11 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

when i knocked my 98 f3 over it bent the shift rod to where it would hit the shift lever.. so i could up shift just fine but 1,n,2 was a no go unless i played with it forever @ a stop light .. so i just bent it outta the way and it was fine from then on