General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire question?

Hey guys, I was out riding today, and on my way home, the bike started acting up, low on fuel, anyway, about 1/10 of a mile from the gas station I pulled off, the bike stalled out. Anyway, got it running and made it to the gas station. When I parked the bike I heard hissing in the rear. Luckily my wife was behind me. Anyway, I plugged it, filled it with air, and wouldn't you know it, another leak, found that, plugged it and filled it up with air.

On the seven mile ride from the station to my house, I stopped about half way and checked air pressure. Still good, same as when I left the gas station. 4 more mile to home at this point. Well, about 1 mile from home, I feel the rear start to get a little squirrelly. Start around a curve and the bike doesn't want to respond right. Take the last mile really slow, get home, and the rear is f*&^^*% flat again.

Well, my question is, with the 2 plugs in it, is it safe to use that green slime sh*t to get the bike to the shop tomorrow? I put the plugs in and let the bike sit for a few before I put air in it, to give the plugs a minute to set. I used water after I filled it up to check for bubbles and nothing. Like I said, the first half of the trip was fine until the last mile, so I am thinking I did the plugs right So, what do you guys think about the green slime?

Thanks, Jim

Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM

personally, i would ride it. But thats just me, it could be dangerous...but what now a days isnt?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by revilingfool
personally, i would ride it. But thats just me, it could be dangerous...but what now a days isnt?
Well, my bike is sitting in my back yard with 2 plugs and I STILL have a flat, one of the plugs didn't work. I want to know, is it safe to fill the tire with that green Slime and ride it? For some reason the plugs did not work. Don't have a trailer and was thinking about the Slime stuff for a temporary fix until pay day to get a new tire.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy are you unlucky or wot. I've been riding for 43 years & only ever had one flat & that was a work bike. There are a few different things out there to plug a leak. Most come in a pressure can & will work, depending on the size of the hole, but Strictly for emergency use only, I wouldn't want to risk anything but a careful ride home

Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tat green slime is the best stufff to use. Farmers have been using it for decades!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you have a rear stand or some other means to supprt the back end so you can remove the wheel and take it to the shop? They charge a lot less to fit it off the bike.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Well, I found out why it went flat again. One of the plugs came out while I was riding home.

I do have a stand, but the guy is giving me a real good price either way. I plugged it and going to take it to him to put on a new tire. I don't have anywhere other than wet, muddy grass to put the bike on the stand. So for the few extra dollars, I am just going to have him do it. He said for a Continental with labor, it will be $150, Another shop said $200. If I had a garage, I would pull it off my self. Anyway, thanks for the info.