General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing Timing????? HOW!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fixing Timing????? HOW!?

How hard would it be to fix the timing on my 1989 CBR 600 F1? Ive narrowed it down to that or a faulty switch but I'm about 70% sure its a timing problem. Is this something I can fix with the help of a person that knows a fair amount about engines or am I going to have to go to a shop? Im planning on cleaning the sensor and giving it another shot??? Or ...welll.. what should I do??

Thanks Guys!

Dylan

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 AM

why do you think your timing is off?

Unless someone has messed with something, its not something that just changes.

Whats the bike doing? If you describe the problem, Im sure someone on here can offer suggestions of what it could be.

which sensor are you cleaning?

If your mechanically inclined, I would avoid a shop at all cost.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The timing doesn't go "out" on motorcycles... It's not like and old 350 with a dizzy.

The only way your timing could go out would be if your cam chain skipped a tooth on your cam sprockets, and if that happened it wouldn't run at all and you would likely notice when your piston slams into a valve or two.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM

So here's whats going on...

I bought this bike from some guy that "rebuilt" the engine and now i have no neutral and i cant get it to start... The bike was in shambles when I got it.. It was basically a frame and the engine, somehow nearly all the electricals were shot. The guy thought he was smart enough to cut into the wiring harness and jimmy rig on his own headlights that are probably from a hardware store. Pretty much he messed the bike up good.
So now i have it and ive replaced and fixed most of the crap he messed up. Its a new harness, new starter, new starter relay, new rad. fan, new ignition, new CDI and new coil packs. It also has new paint, spark plugs, oil an brake fluid. So I now have it to the point where it will turn over but wont start. The headlights, tail light and signal lights now all work as well. I can get it to fire a few time but they are very weak and are not enough to keep the engine turning over. Ive been talking to a mechanic that lives in my building along with a some guys down at a local performance street bike shop and from what ive told them they think its timing.. I know I cant change the timing because its in the CDI unit and that like you said, just doesnt change but the guys at the shop think that when this dude "fixed" the engine he didnt put it all back together right an its messing up mechanically and firing at the wrong time. Now I dont know how to fix something like that?
The only thing else that I can think of is that it wont start because of compression so im going to test that but ive ruled out fuel for sure, and the coils spark so im pretty sure its not that. Nothing leaks so...i dont.
Ideas????

Last edited by dylan-pb; 03-16-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: didnt finish typing
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM

Instead of wondering, just pull valvecovers and check cam timing. Make sure right wires are going to the coils. Make sure one coil is feeding plugs 1 and 4 and the other is running to 2 and 3. Check that and report your findings.