General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI light and erroneous Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI light and erroneous Speedometer

I would like to preface this by saying I am fairly new to riding (only a few months in)

I have a 02 F4I with a DynoJet PCIII and twin brothers exhaust. I recently updated my PC with the latest "map" for my bike. However, the FI light still comes on every other ride. has anyone experienced this issue before? Do you really think something is wrong with the Fuel injector or is it PC throwing off the reading.

2nd, I am using aftermarket sprockets and my speedometer is off i would estimate about 15-20 mph. Ive been reading the only way to fix the speedo is with a Speedohealer. Is this the only way to fix it? Also if I use a speedohealer, do is have to remain in the bike for the life the bike? In other words can I just use someone's speedohealer to calibrate my speedo and give it back to them?

Thanks in advance for any information!!!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Im not familiar enough with the F4i to say whether or not the fi light is related the mods. I know on some bikes, certain mods can throw codes if not done correctly, so there may be something to your bikes light, or it may just be related to the modifications. I would post the same question in the F4 section.

In regards to the speedohealer. It does have to stay with the bike in order to work. It plugs inline between the speed sensor and the speedometer. It takes the reading from the speed sensor and calibrates it on a percentage and then sends that signal to the speedometer as the true speed. Its well worth the investment if you ask me. There is no way to calibrate the stock speedometer. Well, Im sure there is, but I would bet the cost to do so would be much higher than just buying a speedohealer. My bike is one tooth down in the front and one up in the rear. My bike was off by 11 mph.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:53 AM

I'm in the same boat with justasquid here with being unfamiliar with the F4i personally but I honestly don't think that a PC3 and exhaust should throw out a code on your bike ... but laying that aside, that definitely warrants some investigation ...

and another +1 with justasquid on the speedohealer ... I've got one on my 954 ... i went -1/+2 ... I don't remember right off hand how much the speedo was off ...

I know that's not much extra advice really, just backing up good advice you've already received here ... I see alot of echo posts without actually giving props to the post you're echoing off of .... lolol ... I don't wanna be puttin up a bunch of posts like that ...

Last edited by 9-5=4rr; 05-14-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks alot! I will definitely look into the FI light. Also, looks like I will be investing in a Speedohealer. Amazon or ebay maybe?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM

I got mine on ebay. I've never used amazon, but I'm sure any outlet will be fine.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 AM

You know how to put your bike into diagnostic mode? ... if you do and get some codes out of it post back up here and we'll see what we can figure out ...

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM

No i dont know how to do that, but Im sure the manual has instructions on how to do it. When I get the codes I will post them up