F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI light and erroneous Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI light and erroneous Speedometer

I would like to preface this by saying I am fairly new to riding (only a few months in)

I have a 02 F4I with a DynoJet PCIII and twin brothers exhaust. I recently updated my PC with the latest "map" for my bike. However, the FI light still comes on every other ride. has anyone experienced this issue before? Do you really think something is wrong with the Fuelinjector or is it PC throwing off the reading.

2nd, I am using aftermarket sprockets and my speedometer is off i would estimate about 15-20 mph. Ive been reading the only way to fix the speedo is with a Speedohealer. Is this the only way to fix it? Also if I use a speedohealer, do is have to remain in the bike for the life the bike? In other words can I just use someone's speedohealer to calibrate my speedo and give it back to them?

Thanks in advance for any information!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speedohealer is installed and stays on the bike...

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The speed sensor is a pulse generator, it makes a 5v pulse every time the gearbox does one full revolution. By knowing how far the bike will move for one gearbox revolution, and how far apart the pulses are the speedo can figure out how fast the bike is going. A speedo healer is a wee electronic device that sits between the speed sensor and the speedo and changes the number of 5v pulses that reach the speedo so that the speedo shows the correct speed. If you take the speedo healer out it will go back to normal.

Far cheaper is to just swap your sprockets back to stock size.

As for the FI light, you need to read the fault code to see what it is saying is wrong with it.

To read the code:

turn ignition to off, get a piece of wire or a staple or whatever else you can find and bridge the service connector under the seat. It is a two pin plug, near the battery on the left of the bike with nothing plugged into it. If you have the banana seat model it is further away from the battery but still on the LHS by the tail fairing. Push a wire into both sides of the plug so that they are connected to each other.

Turn the ignition to on and watch the FI light, a code of flashes will blink if a fault code is stored.

To read the code, small blinks are single digits, long blinks (1.3seconds) are classed as 10. so if it blinks once for a long time then 3 times it flashes, that is code 13.

Read the code off the images I have attached to see what it says.

Attached Thumbnails FI light and erroneous Speedometer-2.jpg   FI light and erroneous Speedometer-1.jpg   FI light and erroneous Speedometer-3.jpg  

Last edited by DonnyBrago; 05-18-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
Far cheaper is to just swap your sprockets back to stock size.
Except; most motorcycle speedos are off 5% or more from the factory...

Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. This is great information

Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nowensby
Except; most motorcycle speedos are off 5% or more from the factory...

No ****.

Even one with a speedo healer will vary with tyre pressure, tyre profile, tyre wear, lean angle etc etc etc.