General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing repair help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing repair help

Hey guys I just recently bought myself a '90 600f. It runs great but has been laid down a couple times and needs some cosmetic work. All of the plastic is there, original, just scuffed up in a few spots and two mounting holes are cracked. The holes are on the access panels on both sides in the lower back. Right now i have it zip tied and that seems to do the job but i'd like a bike that looks as good as it runs. Just curious on some of the methods and products you guys would try. Haven't had much luck on finding replacement plastic either as its almost impossible to find. Thanks in advance for the help and comments.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF jjs.

Not so sure that you'll get the looks/help here in the Detailing section. Lets move it over to General Tech & see what kind of responses come along. Hopefully, you'll some input.

There are some tips in the How To: Paint & Body section. Otherwise, paint & body threads/posts are somewhat scattered in various sections over the forum. Maybe do a few searches & see what you come up w/ as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABS pipe cement can be used to repair cracks, fill holes, and even like bondo to fill in scratches and gouges. I've repaired all of the above on my bike using that method and it bonds with the original plastic fairing to make a very strong repair. I have even reattached mounting tabs that were completely broken off and they are holding well.

There is some great info in this link that goes into detail about how to repair:

Plastics repair with ABS cement - Ninja250Wiki