General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Cracks ~ WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairing Cracks ~ WTF

So it seems as if I constantly have to fix the fairings due to them developing cracks. First it was the rear fairing, under the seat (crotch crack) fixed. Now it was the top headlight attachment points, which I figured out are not supportive so I'm not messing with them (plus they completely disintegrated ~ lol). Next to those where the air intake fairings/cover brackets which I was able to re-assemble and reinforce with epoxy. And now I noticed a stress crack developing under the left mirror which I will be reinforcing here soon. I've been using fiberglass to make repairs and it works really good. Also, I'm being very gentle with the plastics, it's not like I'm over tightening them or anything. Is there anyone else around who has these reoccurring issues with their plastics? I know I can't be the only one.

Name:  WTF3.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  WTF2.jpg
Size:  54.8 KB
Name:  WTF1.jpg
Size:  35.4 KB
Name:  WTF4.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  24.3 KB

Here's my model bike '03 F4i ~ sorry for the obstructed view.

Last edited by Incognito; 07-12-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fairing Cracks ~ WTF

maybe if you didn't let fat chicks like that sit on you bike like that you could have a problem.

I have no help for you other then plastic gets old and fatigues over time.

that's good to know that fiber glass fixes ABS, i have several cracks like you have and need to fix them, but wasn't sure if fiber glass would work.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, fat chicks will definatly cause stress on your plastics

both of my F4i's developed stress cracks under the seat, and the stress crack at the rearview mirror. The inner tabs broke once or twice as well, but that usually had something to do with hitting the ground.

I never bothered to mess with the stress cracks, although for the plastic repairs, I would use fiberglass cloth(the woven type) and plasticweld 2part epoxy worked fantastic.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I feel better now that at least a couple of you have this issue. Guess I'll just deal with it. By the way, the girl & amp; bike up top aren't mine. Came across the picture and thought it was too nice not to post it.
That's good to know that fiber glass fixes ABS, I have several cracks like you have and need to fix them, but wasn't sure if fiber glass would work.
Just make sure you sand the area to be repaired with like 80 grit ~ go past the paint so the resin can adhere to it.
I never bothered to mess with the stress cracks
The tail fairing started real small and soon after it turned ugly, so I'm trying to fixit before it before it turns worse. I suppose compared to the guyin your avatar my problems are pretty small.

Last edited by Incognito; 07-12-2009 at 11:42 PM.