General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4i headlight plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i headlight plastic?

Hello, I have a cbr f4i with a damaged headlight assembly. Some of the tabs holding the assembly to the front fairing and the front stay are broken, and as the headlight assembly is roughly 200$ I would like to make my own pieces and try plastic welding them onto the headlight. To do this, I believe I'll need to know what type of plastic the headlight assembly is made of (the black plastic that makes up the assembly, NOT the lens.) Its probably the same type of plastic that's used on all bikes, so it shouldn't be model-specific. If anyone knows what the name is of this type of plastic or has tips on plastic welding it would be very appreciated.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM

all aftermarket fairings are either fiberglass molded or ABS plastic injection.. so im guessing the originals are all ABS

Old 03-14-2017, 12:20 PM

I'm talking about the soft-ish black plastic that makes up the headlight assembly (what you'd see if you took off the front fairing). I had one suggestion that it may be polycarbonate, so I will try that and if it works I'll post a how-to on how to repair it since its probably one of the more frequently damaged parts during crashes.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Update: I have finished plastic welding with a soldering iron. It was a pain and does not look great but the area I fixed was able to hold the weight of the entire headlight so I am fairly confident it will hold over time. If I crash in the future I would definitely try making my own parts again as the plastic cost very little and a new headlight is roughly 200$.