General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rattle

Hey I recently bought a 01 CBR 600 F4i with about 5,000 miles on it, and I have been noticing engine rattle between 5000 and 6000 rpm's, I have read previous posts and most likely it is the CCT. Should I worry about this? I mean its not that bad at this point, just doesnt sound right. Or should I replace the CCT? I also have found posts of a recall of the CCT, do you guys know anything about the recall? If so, what year bikes were recalled, and will Honda replace it for free?

Thanks, any info would be appreciated

Old 10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Default RE: Engine Rattle

So nobody knows anything? Come on you guys have to give me some information. Please?

Old 10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search on the subject, lots of will come.

honda may replace yours for free, but really it depends on the dealer...probably a long shot for your 2001 though.

the old part, which i suspect is in your bike right now, has been replaced by an new part, ending in number j23, vs. j22.

should you replace it...well, no one has recorded anything bad happening other than the noise...but should probably replace it anyway...cause the noise will drive you nuts.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:55 PM

Finally, thank you Tahoe

Old 10-09-2006, 04:41 PM

muahhha...it's long weekend, everyone is out! i don't patrol the board on the weekend mang!

now a bit more information, you get another stocker, and mod it so the pin holding the tip doesn't loosen and vibrate...making the sound, or you can go with the APE manual tensioner.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 AM

if it annoys you pay the $65 AUD and put a newy in, but other than that, just ride through it.... the F4i's have a bad rep for noise cct... and that i got from a honda tech, but they dont fail like the VTR ones...the noise will get worse though.... i changed mine out at 30000km... if that gives you any idea, another thing to do is find the spot were the cam chain slack is the most, then remove the bolt in the back of the tensioner, and give it a small tweak, this will put a little more tension on the chain, then put the bolt back in.... REMEBER A TWEAK!!!... they are under spring pressure anyway.... apparently its because the spring gets hot and looses its 'springyness'.... this again from a honda tech...

hope this helps

peace

Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I read other posts of people having the same problem with the rattle and when they change the cct the rattle does not go away, or goes away for a very short period of time. I think I am just gonna have to live with the rattle and just go through the 5-6k rpm range as quick as I can, lol. Do you guys know if the Yamaha R6 has the same problem?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:12 PM

hop on the newer sportbikes, start em up, ride em around (you can hear stuff a lot better w/out a helmet, but if your on the street, PLEASE wear a helmet) and youll notice ALL of them: f4i, 600rr, gixxer 6, 750, kawi 636 (04/05-06) Those are all bikes that I have ridden, and ALL of them rattle as much or more than my 600 RR... its just the fact that they are packing so many little metal moving parts into such a small space (saving weight as they go with thinner/lighter components). There is bound to be some noise somewhere. Just keep an "ear" out for the bad noises, such as loud rattles and hard knocking. Other than that, ride er like you wanna.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:08 AM

If you took the bike to a dealer to get the cct replaced because your bike is under warranty how do you know if they really fixed it? I have a buzzing noise between 6-6500 rpms and I've had my bike into the dealer 3 times for it now and the next day they just call me and say my bike is done so I go to pick it up and they say the noise is gone but if it isn't to call back tomorrow and then they'll call Honda about it. Well sure enough every time as soon as I pull out of the parking lot and hit that range I hear it and I call back. Finally this last time I dropped it off on Monday and they called me back yesterday saying the bike was done I asked if it was fixed they said yes and I asked what the problem was and the guy said they didn't find any problems with it. So wtf?! I don't trust these guys at all this was the worst purchase I've ever made. I mean the bike was doing it at 600 miles which was when I finally started gettin the rpm's up past 6k could it even be the cct at that low of miles? I'm really gettin fed up with this dealership. Also when I brought it in I told them my friend worked at another dealership and one guy asked me his name and smiled with the cockiest grin ever and told me he didn't work there he even had the freakin nerve to call over there infront of me ask for the manager and ask if the guy worked there! I mean wtf?! What the heck does that have to do with my bike?!?!?!?! The ***** just thought I was lying and wanted to try to call me out. AHHHHHHHHHHHH Sorry thinking about it again is pissing me off. I'll stop now

Mike

Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 AM

yep would most probably, they are a spring loaded contraption, and with everything that relies on humans to make, is not perfect, mine sounds loud at about 5-5500 rpm, but i have changed it twice, and in a matter of days gets the same noise again, if its under warentee go somewere else, do they have a dyno, get them to run it up to those rev to 'hear it'.... otherwise you may just have to live with it, most cbr600 owners know the sounds... it will get worse, but as i said, you will know when to get it changed.... good luck with it, and keep us in the loop..

peace

Quick Reply: Engine Rattle