General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY Please...!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY Please...!!

Hello Forum Family, I joined this forum tonight because we have a problem. This past thursday my club member bought a 02 954 and everything was fine. We were told that it was from California and everything has been done to it to make it Texas ready. So we have to drive 98 miles back home, and there were no problems. Friday we got in from work and went riding, even until 11pm. Today, we all get together for a nice day ride with our member and his new bike. And we hit it. Well, he noticed a slight chugging, pulling and then it would cut off. We pulled over looked at what we thoughtwas the problem, notice here, that he was the only Honda in the bunch! We have BUSA's and don't know anything about a Honda. So we could not figure it out. Our best guess was that it was California emissions, the map is not working, or this might be a lemon!

We are 30 miles from home, and it was the longest trip ever. It would run for a good 5-10 miles then stop. Chugging and sputtering. I stayed up late just to try to find an answer for this bike. He really wants to keep it, he upgraded from a 99 CBR 600, so you know he is not happy.

We are planning to try to get our questions answered about the bike, but if nothing works, we will have to load it up and take it back to the shop on Tuesday, because they are closed on Monday.

If anyone has any suggestions or can tell us what is going on with this bike...please let me know asap. bsmcwaco@sbcglobal.net

2002 CBR954RR, Red/Black/ TRS Yoshimura full exhaust, and the box under the seat. We looked at the box, pulled throttle and it is working..on visual specs. HELP PLEASE...thank you.

Dirty Red

Old 12-17-2006, 05:28 AM
Default RE: EMERGENCY Please...!!

hard to tell but sounds like a fuel problem so maybe check injectors, pump ect. (if u can), cant really think of anything else but i would guess clogged injectors

Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't sound like a 954rr specific issue but i don't have a cali model so i dunno if that's a factor. i haven't had any such problem with mine. +1 on possible bad gas or plugs. even though it ran fine for 98 miles, how long did it sit around without use before you rode it home? hopefully someone that's run into same issue or knows more about it will be of more help.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:09 AM

Guys thanks for your quick answers. We don't know how long it sat up or where before the guy sold it, or the bike shop got it going. We thought of the bad gas issue too. But it ran fine from Dallas to Waco (98 miles) and then Friday night running around just showing the bike off, and today we went 35 along some back roads to really run. And we did. He hit 140 on that thing at one point. So that is why it seems so funny, that we did a lot of running and now it acts like it can't take it. We have another club member that has a 954, but he was at work. And he was no help. All he does is pop wheelies, and put gas in!! Kidding. But he could not think of anything.

Again thanks...guys keep them coming. Maybe just maybe we can figure it out. Oh, and when we do, I will be sure to post the solution so that others can benefit.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:23 AM

*Are there any malfunction indicator lights on the gauge cluster that are showing?
*What's the box under the seat? Is it a PCIII - if so, might be bad.
The problem definately sounds electrical to me.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:50 AM

You gotta excuse me on the gauge thing, I can't tell what was going on. I remember seeing the red light on, and the box was the Yosh box under the seat. When I got on it and rode it, down the block it seemed like it wanted to keep going. I slowed down to turn into a parking lot and it cut off, but it was like the jerking of bad gas. Or the mix was too rich and the mapping was off. Like the bike wanted to give it more, but was actually not listening to the mapping sequence.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

*Are there any malfunction indicator lights on the gauge cluster that are showing?
*What's the box under the seat? Is it a PCIII - if so, might be bad.
The problem definately sounds electrical to me.
+1-go to the 954 section and download the service manual-find what the
engine fault codes are-easy thing to do at this point
o8
also check electrical ground points,and insp for engine vac leaks
map sensors do not like air leaks!!!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Retired Administrator

Here's your shop manual

Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Thanks guys. I appreicate it. I know Big O appreicates it even more. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:15 PM

I agree, sounds electrical to me as well. When you are able to go that far and then it cuts out, it sounds as if transistor, or a coil is heating up and opening. If it stops and you think it make be fuel, give her shot (no you don't need much) of starting fluid, right away, before the electrical issue cools down and makes connection again. If it is fuel related, it should at least run on the ether for a moment.