General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 AM
June 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical gremlin

So, I installed my speedo-healer yesterday and everything was going fine. Took it out on a test ride and after about 40 minutes it died on me while moving at about 20mph in traffic. It started right back up, so I figured I had hit the brakes too hard without the clutch pulled in or something, and so I rode to my friend's wedding reception. As I went to shut off the bike I accidentally bumped the gear shifter and the bike lurched, killed, made a kind of pop from somewhere in the rear (maybe under the seat near the battery?) and lost all power. Turned the key again and nothing happened. No power whatsoever.

We tried to push start it and when I turned the key the gauges came alive and it seemed fine so I tried to start it with the button but it made a pop from under the seat again and lost all power. Tried to push start it a few more times anyway and each time when I popped the clutch the gauges flickered and clicked and it kind of turned over, but wasn't running, more of a burbling which stopped as soon as i pulled the clutch in. Giving a bit of throttle did absolutely nothing.

I took it all apart and unhooked the speedo-healer, but nothing changed. I wiggled all the wires and checked the connectors from the entire area under the tank and by the battery. Then I unplugged my headlight and turned off the kill switch and the gauges lit up fine. As soon I flipped the switch to run the gauges flickered again. I tried wiggling the battery and I noticed I could make the gauges completely shut off by doing that. A couple times I got the fuel pump to turn on, but every time I hit the start button there was a click and I lost all power until I wiggled stuff again. A few times I had the gauges and tach freak out and start flashing and the tach needle danced all over.

With the headlight plugged in the gauges will only flicker or lose all power no matter what. With the headlight unplugged it will usually light up with the kill switch off, with it on it will rarely light up normally and even more rarely the fuel pump kicks in.

I'm heading over soon to meet my tech who is bringing the truck to take it to the shop (and hopefully a battery to test if it works with a fresh one) since I'm sick of working on it in a parking lot in 90 degree heat and its supposed to rain all week anyway.

Anyone had a similar problem before or have any ideas?

Last edited by WhiteKnite; 08-16-2009 at 04:49 AM.