General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Speedometer problem

Hello, I'm new here. can someone help me in my problem regarding my digital speedometer, sometimes it works but sometimes it just reads 0 even though I'm moving. I had it checked in a mechanic and he said that i have to replace the speed sensor. Is there anything i can do or is it just in the wiring? thank you and please email me (celepano@yahoo.com) if you have an answer, thank you.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Default RE: Digital Speedometer problem

do you have a service manual for the bike? If not, you can download one for free.. from where, I don't remember, but if you do a search I'm sure you can find it. Take a look at that. Determine if it's something you think you may be able to do. These jobs are usually easier than you would think.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 AM

What bike is it on? Usually, the speed sensor is located on or near the front drive sprocket cover. It would be a simple unplug and swap sensors.

but before you replace. try cleaning the surface. A lot of times, gunk gets built up on the surface of the sensor and it will work intermittenly or read incorrectly..

Old 11-12-2008, 12:50 AM

Its on my cbr 600f4i 2002 model, the mechanic has cleaned the sensor,it worked but when i went home it started to fail again, is there anything else that i have to check or clean or plug and unplug?
thank you

Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 AM

I can't answer for justasquid but my guess is that you're going to just need to try a replacement and see if it works, it is the lessor of two evils if you are comparing a speed sensor problem to a guage cluster problem.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 AM

ok thank you very much, i'll get back on you once the problem has been solved or not

Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Check if your sprockets have the same amount of teeth as stock. I heard that can cause this problem. I had the same issue and I bought a chain and sprocket kit with stock gearing, installed it, disconnected then reconnected the battery and haven't had the problem since.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fryman
Check if your sprockets have the same amount of teeth as stock. I heard that can cause this problem. I had the same issue and I bought a chain and sprocket kit with stock gearing, installed it, disconnected then reconnected the battery and haven't had the problem since.
it will usually simply read incorrectly then, off by a certain speed, but it will still read.

if his worked and then didnt after a clean, sounds like something faulty in the wiring or a bad sensor

Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 AM

I had to replace mine a few years ago (I also have a 01 600, but it's an F4i, I don't think the RR was around in 01) . It's kind of a pain to get to as it's somewhat buried but doable if you're handy. Mine would display 0, particularly when it was cold out. Replaced it and it still works fine.

Quick Reply: Digital Speedometer problem