General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Invoice- Labor questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealership Invoice- Labor questions

A few on the board know about my work being done to the bike. They emailed me an invoice with detail about what is owed.
First, does anyone know where a Honda labor rate chart can be found? In other words, what work gets billed for what time?
Here's the details:
I had them replace my OEM shock with an Ohlins unit and replace the swingarm with a used one. They billed me 0.9hrs for the shock and 1.5hrs for the swingarm. Everyone knows that you cannot do either unless the two parts are unmarried.

I also had them do a full 16k service. They charged 5.2 hours. I gave them the bike with no bodywork. I'm sure the 16k service require removal and replacement of bodywork, which they did not have to perform. What's appropriate here?

I had them flush my coolant also and replace with distilled and water wetter. They billed 0.6hrs. If I recall, coolant change is scheduled at 16k service. Now I know that I asked them to go a step further than just a drain/ fill, but should they have charged me separtately for this, and at 0.6hrs?
Is this a fairbilling or am I just experiencing sticker shock (I won't say what the final bill is, caused I also got a rack of parts, services, that I'm not complaining about).

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dealership Invoice- Labor questions

should've done most of the work yourself bird...now you gots to pay...
how much the forks cost you just to drop in the ohlins springs? should be the same price as a standard fluid change...so maybe like70-100 bucks or so...for one i believe. 5.2 hours for 16K service? did they have to inspect and adjust valves, etc?

i need to see what they charged you for each work item, including labor.

from what i can tell, the labor hours seem fine.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:02 PM

OK, the charge for replacing coolant is appropriate as per service guidelines. At 16k the coolant is INSPECTED. The 16k included valves and should have included Throttle body synch, but the chart in the owner's manual isn't too specific. I would have to look at a service manual chart to double check....I definately was under impression that it included that.

Tahoe, As for the other items, I had more than just springs dropped in-to the suspension. I had that work done separately. I got new fork springs, Racetech Gold Compression Valves (my supplied part), Showa High-Flow rebound pistons, new seals and bushings for $345 shipped back to me....Good deal I think.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Oh, what do you have to say about the shock/ SA and no bodywork situation?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Is this in the service manual that TBs get synch at 16,000 miles?
https://cbrforum.com/m_169426/tm.htm

Old 04-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm an idiot, read too fast...i was thinking front fork! muahahahha...
i see that total work is like 7 hours, which isn't so bad...but some of it does overlap.
what's their hourly rate?
as far as TB sync...i doubt they did it...it's not really part of the service, but a separateitem.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about the swingarm...

The 16 k check consists mostly of just inspections, and most of the time, nothing needs replacing, maybe a few minor adjustments
to the valves, and synch the carbs...but that takes 1.5 to 2.5 hours max...especially with body work removed already.
Spark plugs included, if the technician is experienced.

You should havedone the plugs and filter yourself.

The Ohlins shock may have needed some modding itself?

Maybe that/s the 0.9 for that.

Honda shops vary, as all delaerships do for hourly labor charges...but the average is $45 per hour.

That's pretty much the going rate at private shops as well.

Next time, I would take it either to a different dealer...and have them do the valves and carb synch only.

(I hate mercury sticks...only used them about 4 times...and they are touchy. I nearly put mecury in a bike first time
I used them. A quick hand to the engine kill switch stopped that. Don't they have digital gauges these days?)

The coolant flush...not part of the 16 k check...so 0.6 is not bad...think you got treated right on that one.

Remember when mechanics and shops scheck" something...they mean that literally. They CHECK it...don;t fix it.

Fixning or replacing is extra...

Overcharged?

Yes...

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM

$45 an hour...I wanna know where that shop is....around here its $80.

5 hours for 16K service better be a full valve adjustment and check TB's for sync....BUT, as far as a sync, unless they are off by more than 2cmthey won't touch them....so you got another "check"....

2.4 hours for a swing arm and shock..?..seems high...I would buy 1.5

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 PM

They billed me 0.9 hrs just to swap the shock out!

I wish I could get a $45 labor rate. This shop is competitive for this areaat $80/hr.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 PM

they go by a book that tells them how much time to charge u for a job. there gona charge u what ever that books says for the labor. if the book says its supposed to take them .9 hours for a job and it take them .7 there still gona charge u the .9

Quick Reply: Dealership Invoice- Labor questions