General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which alarm should I go with?
Keep the Cyclone 866F
0%
Install the Spy 5000m
100.00%
Buy the Scorpio SR-i600
0%
Go with the Internatrix TW-1000
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Cyclone 866f or Spy 5000m Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cyclone 866f or Spy 5000m Alarm?

Hi yall... In the midst of a dilemna here.

I currently have a Cyclone 866f alarm installed in my bike. It has all the features I want except 2 way ability. Adjustable shock sensor, 2 axis tilt sensor, starter kill, decent alarm volume, battery backup and 'valet' (yeah right, I'd let some jackass valet park my bike) mode with a couple more minor features. But it can't notify me if someone's messing with my bike and I'm out of earshot (in the store, club, ect).

One drunken night I bid on a Spy 5000m alarm on Ebay. Bid $50 + shipping and to my surprise I won. It has 2 way paging ability. But the shock sensor isn't adjustable, doesn't have 2 axis tilt sensor, valet mode or battery backup. It does have 2 way paging ability and remote start (no plans on using that feature onb any alarm).

The 2 way paging ability is very important to me. Adjustable shock sensor is of slightly lesser importance. Valet mode and remote smart I can live without. 2 axis tilt is prolly overrated (can't see how someone can tilt the bike without setting off the shock sensor). Battery backup is a nice option but can go either way.

I'm stuck on whether to flEabay the Spy 5000m, install it or save a second and buy a different alarm. So vote and give me some opinions. The other alarms I'm looking at are the the Scorpio SR-i600 ($319), which has everything I want + perimeter sensor. Or the Internatrix TW-1000 ($159), which lacks the battery backup and 2 axis tilt sensor but adds perimeter sensor.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an alarm on my bike, so this is mearly my opinion.

But, it sounds to me like the one you won is a great comprimise for what you really want. You don't plan on using the valet. the only downside I can see is the battery backup. But, for the most part, if your out, chances are your battery won't need it as it should be charged. Even though the shock sensor isnt adjustable, I would assume its set at the optimum point anyway. The tilt sensor would be nice, but the shock sensor should set the alarm off way before it gets tilted.

I think you said whats most important, and the alarm you won seems to take care of all of the important items. The more things an alarm can do, the more expensive it is, but doesn't make a more expensive alarm better if you don't use the features your paying for..

I'd say use what you have. It covers the things that are important.

oh yeah, I can see the perimeter one being a real hassle if it goes off just because someone walked by it. especially if your out. At your house at night, absolutely a good thing to have, other times, probably a headache.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-21-2010 at 07:27 AM.