Crack or normal! - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack or normal!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Default Crack or normal!

Just been cleaning my bike and notice what looks like a crack on the left side back of engine to the right of the spacer. Can anyone confirm this is actually the shape of the alloy or is it a crack (centre of the photo!

Old 08-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Itís identical on the right hand side too in exactly the same shape and place...if this is a crack,any ideas what could cause this and is it safe to use the bike!?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:07 AM

Take small piece of sandpaper and lightly sand it. If it's a crack you'll see it immediately.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Andries View Post
Take small piece of sandpaper and lightly sand it. If it's a crack you'll see it immediately.
ok Iíll take a look,is this dangerous if it is a crack and is it a common issue?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 AM

Ok Iíve just give it a sand and itís disappeared!!
can anyone confirm this looks like this on the 2003 model?

Old 08-13-2018, 09:51 PM

well it seems this isnít normal,so I definitely have an issue on mine!!! Iíve lightly sanded this out,but am assuming if itís a crack then it will reappear!! Firstly, is it safe to use like this as Iím assuming this part carries the weight of the engine?and secondly,is there anything I can do apart from what seems like Iíve been duped and may have to swap my engine?

Old 08-14-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

I would simply keep an eye on it. It very well may have been a small defect in the cast when the engine was made, leaving the small line

Since you sanded it and it didn't open up it doesn't seem like a crack
But again, just keep watching it and see if it presents itself again . My 2 cents anyway.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 View Post
I would simply keep an eye on it. It very well may have been a small defect in the cast when the engine was made, leaving the small line

Since you sanded it and it didn't open up it doesn't seem like a crack
But again, just keep watching it and see if it presents itself again . My 2 cents anyway.
ok Iíll go with that mate and thanks for your input,just didnít want to worry about the engine dropping out on a run!!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Very valid concern. It would make for an interesting ride if that happened. Better to be safe than very sorry.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 View Post
Very valid concern. It would make for an interesting ride if that happened. Better to be safe than very sorry.
how serious does the crack need to be to risk collapsing on a ride?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crack or normal!

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.