General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

copper base gasketry

Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default copper base gasketry

I jumped at a well priced base gasket for a 1990 CBR 1000f that i've been playing with overhauling without realizing it's a copper compostition and have read instance after each wherein the information presented is followed by a direct contradiction so the following questions remain....

Is there anything specific that need be done before installing a base gasket made of copper? Some people say fire it up under a bunsen burner, others say to put it in a freezer. Have any of you folks ever used a copper base gasket? If, so, what's your experience been like and did you do more than open the package before installing it?

Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

On my Harley based chopper, I had to make my own head gaskets out of copper. After I made a jig so I could bore, drill, and cut it to shape, I did use heat to anneal them before installation.

Now, I made mine from a sheet of copper, .050 I think it was. Are the ones you have installation ready? I would think that since they were made and packaged to be used, they may already be treated. If they needed annealing, I would think it would say somewhere on the packaging. Have you checked the manufacturer's FAQ, installation tips, or contacted them?

Old 04-24-2019, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a blurb tucked in with the gasket instructing that it be coated with sealant such as Gaskacinch. Not having heard of copper as a substrate used for gaskets I hopped on the internet and fell down a rabbit hole into a world where people are annealing everything from old penny's to copper crush washers which is... hmmmm. Another page mentioned having to machine groves into the perimeter of the block before using them and I couldn't discern as to whether or not the statements I read were referencing retail items or something more along the lines of what you mention above.

It would be nice to be closer to certain than not that when I get everything back together I won't be tearing it down all over again because I saved $25. I might just grab an aluminum one to minimize the chances of disaster, something doesn't feel right.