General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Problem **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005 | 09:56 PM
Default Coolant Problem **UPDATE**

Hey guys, my cbr 600 rr is deciding to pee coolant all over. Is there any quick-check things I can do to see exactly what it is? It's either almost or actually is out of coolant. any quick suggestions for that too?

thanks,

Chris

**UPDATE**

I was finally able to pull my plastics off and take a look at what was going on. Man am I surprised at the horrible attention to detail my mechanics had at the dealer. And the previous owner IS ONE OF THEIR MECHANICS!! hahahah

well i got the right side plastics taken off and started looking around. I still couldnt see where it was coming from, so I took off the left hand side fairings. I didnt see anything at first, but after closely examining everything I found the problem was right in my face. The main coolant line coming from the radiator that goes down and Y's out was unhooked, and coolant was all over it. The problem...? They didnt tighten the hose clamp [:@] what goofballs. I then hooked it back up, tightened the hose clamp (checked all other hose clamps) filled the radiator, then the reservoir and started her up. I havnt had a problem since. I did have it bump over 200 degrees though, but I believe that was just because I was running in town at slow speeds... and I need to blow my radiator out O_o.

Hopefully my bike should be good to go now, as Ive checked it all over.

thanks for any and all help,

Chris

Old 03-06-2005 | 10:59 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Default RE: Coolant Problem

Before it decided to start spewing did something sound or feel different? Did you do anything else to the bike shortly before it started doing it? Off hand I'd say that if it's getting so hot that it boils out the coolant then you might have jumped timing. Either that or a slow leak (but you prolly would have noticed that).

Old 03-06-2005 | 11:44 PM

I didnt do anything different than normal chain. Im not sure that its "boiling" out the liquid :S I just know my engine is getting wayyyy too hot (due to no coolant). I believe the leak started, or the "dump" happened at a certain point in my ride home, as my rear wheel broke loose without me trying to do it. I just regained control w/out thinking about it and went on w/ my business. When I got home is when I noticed that I hade wet spots (splatters/sprays) on my shoes and it smelled "sweet" when I shut it off. I also noticed that my rear tire looked wet (odd... as its not wet, anywhere) and also the front tire looked a little wet. Other than that, all I can tell about the leak/burst location is by trying to follow the puddles path all the way up the belly pan of my fairing... no luck. I have yet to take the fairings off at all to give it a good look. Im just hoping its something simple as replacing a hose clamp/tightening a cap etc.

cross your fingers,

Chris

Ooops, i also wanted to ask, is it normal for my oil to be a fairly dark color? or is it supposed to be damn near clear? :S The oil leve IS sitting good though lol... sheesh, at least that side of it is ok, as far as I know O_o

Old 03-07-2005 | 01:22 AM

mine started leaking today also. but i traced my leak to the hose at the top of the raditor on the right side. it lookes like its coming out between the hoses,(like if were 2-ply between that) so gotta take it and get it fixed. sucks thought cuz my car just died and this is my only transportaion/

Old 03-07-2005 | 09:22 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

All right -- sounds like you have burstage or leaking. Just mix some coolant 50/50 with distilled water and fill the system and let it idle til hot. You'll prolly have to take the fairings off. Hopefully it's like you said, just a loose clamp.

Your oil can start looking darkish -- especially through the sight glass. As long as you change it regularly there's no need to worry.

Old 03-08-2005 | 12:15 AM

thanks chainstretcher... your calming my speeding heart hahahaha

Im glad I have a place like this and people like you to talk to, as I already worry too much, without stuff like this going on O_o.

is it ok to use just regular old car coolant? I have some prestone extended life stuff just sittin around... would like to know before i kill my motor [>:] it says on the back if mixed 50/50 protects to -34 up to 265 F. if mixed 70/30 (in favor of coolant) protects -84 up to 276 F. I know my bike runs around 220 when hottish... so is it ok? My light comes on and temp starts blinkin like mad when it hits 250 F [&:] I unfortunately found that out the bad way. what a nerve racking experience...

anyway, thanks again, and hit me back w/ answers, i NEEED knowledge :P

take er easy,

Chris

Old 03-08-2005 | 09:47 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I use a 50/50 mix -- brand name is not a big deal. I would stick with an ethelyne glycol based coolant though (prestone is).

Old 03-08-2005 | 11:21 PM

Thanks again chain, you the man im mixing up some 50/50 right now, so the first chance I get I can hopefully find that leak :S

take it easy,

Chris