General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning carbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning carbs

just wnated to know what is the best way to do a quick cleaning of the carbs without taking them off, can i spray them with some carb cleaner or something like that,.. they were cleaned recently but sat for about a month after and just wanted to clean them a little just in case

Old 01-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Default RE: cleaning carbs

nope! gota rip em appart! really easy as long as you are mechanically inclined.... unless there is a magical way of getting to the jets with carb cleaner with out taking them off.. dont run any special **** threw the gas.. it will just cause more problems..

Old 01-18-2007, 08:24 PM

thanks... they were cleaned at thanksgiving but i was not sure if i need to clean them again since it sat from then till about a week ago.. i noticed a hesitation in 4th and 5th gears was not sure what may cause that or if i need to run it out.. i have only ran it around the neighborhood, nothing over 30mph

Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 AM

well if you havnt put a fresh tank of gas into it DO THAT FIRST! gas does get old quick... and thats what it will do.. (run like crap!) dont just mix new gas with old gas.. siffen all of it out and put a fresh tank in.. see if that does anything.. i dont think your carbs are dirty because it hasnt been ridin much.. its possible that the oldgas has put some resedue in the carbs and clogged the jets, but unlikely.. gas sitting in the bowl for long period of time is NO GOOD!

for the record this is how i store my vehicles
itsmid october in minnesota and time to store the bikes!
1.) go to the gas station and fill it up to the TOP. go right back home. This prevents moister from building up and creating rust in the tank. over the months
2.) turn gas off and drain gas out of carbs. then start the bike (or try) to make sure everything is dry.
3.) put stabilizer in the gas tank
4.) plug exhast pipe with ball. prevents mice from taking a loan for a new home.. (happend to my sled in the summer)
5.)if postible try to get the tires off the ground. and keep it there. (prevents the tires from getting flat spots.)
6.) put the battery on a tender.
7.) lub up the chain
8.) some people like to put oil in the cyclenders, but you dont really need to if your storing it less then a year.
9.)get a good cover and do the best you can to seal the bottom from little critters! and your good to go!

Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 AM

thanks that is good advice..... i did change the gas, cleaned out the fuel filter and pump, changed the plugs, before that she wouldn't even start..... i am going to try to run her out onthe road and see if that help .. blow her out.... i appreciate you info... never thought about the fact mice and stuff could get in the exhaust..... thanks again