General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chopping exhaust out the bottom?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chopping exhaust out the bottom?

when i first got my bike the farings were somewhat scratched. i completely took everything and sanded and painted and worked on whatever needed touching up. i had the bike looking like new with about a weeks worth of work. after that i started doing my own little customizing ( which i do with everything i have ).

i had a nice looking micron exhaust that sounded good to me but as i spent more time on the forums and youtube i started to like the chopped exhaust and wanted to get a little more tone out of mine. i took 4inches off as that seemed like the average and put it back together. well there is a small gap around both caps of the exhaust so i have a compression leak. i took it to a friends dad of mine to weld but he welded the inside tube between the packing instead of sealing my caps and said the meterial is to thin to work with it anyway. i tried this exhaust gasket patch from murrays but that cracked around the seal also. im getting frusterated because i took a decent exhaust and slowly made it ****.

is there anything i can do that will take care of this problem? like cut it down more and different ways?

a kid i ride with has his can and midpipe chopped so his exhaust comes out the bottom right up under the swing arm out the side like you would see on a rousch mustang or something.

can i do anything like that or should i just wait for the next check to come and get a new exhaust?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 PM

I wouldn't totally hack it off, it'll be way too loud and you'll be sacrificing plenty of low and mid power. I shortened my M4 about 4 inches and re-riveted it back together, no leaks. How many rivets did you put in the caps? Did you use any of that metallic tape around the inside of the caps? You could try putting more rivets in it to get the two surfaces to seal better and throw some of that tape around the inside. I don't think the tape is anything more than like dryer duct tape.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:42 PM

You definately don't want a GP style exhaust on your bike. A lot of the bikes you see with those pipes have suitcase converter under the bike. Your bike would be rediculously loud with that style exhaust.

If the rivet thing doesnt work out, you might be able have someone tig weld it. Im assuming your friends dad only has a mig? it is very thin material, but a tig welder should have no problem welding it, as long as the materials are the same. I don't know if the can is the same material as the cap.

the other thing you can do is get some extra packing and place it towards the end that you cut. This will push the can out and you can force the cap over it creating a better seal.