General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Cheap/Free Bike Mods Game...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Cheap/Free Bike Mods Game...

Hey all, I was sitting here thinking of what I am goingto do tomorrow. I am in the middle of a project and I am at the painting stage but it is going to be too cold to paint. I don't really have any real work to do on the bike right at the moment and was trying to come up with cheap/free mods that I could do to fill the time.

Here is how I would like this to work. We can see how it goes...

1. The mod must be able to be done with stuff that most people would have around the house already.

2. If there are things required to do the mod (beyond what would be in most homes), the cost cannot total more than $20.

3. If the mod is specific to a single bike, please start the post by saying so.

4. If there is a how-to or walk through already posted on teh interwebz please link it rather than trying to rewrite it here.

Last edited by F34Me?; 05-03-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Read my post on free/cheap throttle cruise control using 'O' rings!
Highwaypatrol

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a can wrapping mod around here too that just takes an aluminum can (from a soda, or energy drink, or whatever), scissors, razors, and a screwdriver. It's a little thing, but nice.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Hi! Sounds intriguing! Can you describe a bit more as to how it works and is mounted? I assume you have a mod similar to mine to keep the throttle open on the wide open spaces? Love to see it!

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
There's a can wrapping mod around here too that just takes an aluminum can (from a soda, or energy drink, or whatever), scissors, razors, and a screwdriver. It's a little thing, but nice.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, here you are, pics and all.

It wasn't my mod, but I like the results. I hunted around for a few weeks to find just the right can but, of course, I don't have a picture of it. I'm going to be taking a ton of pics soon, though, so it'll be on there.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's also the manual fan switch mod. For a few dollars at Radio Shack you can buy the switch and some wire. I wrote a detailed how-to with pics in the 1000RR section.

Basically, all it involves is running a switched GROUND (not +12V) wire to the ground terminal of the fan relay. You can then turn on your fan(s) whenever you want without waiting for the engine temp to turn them on, as long as the key is in the ON position. Handy for stop-and-go traffic on hot summer days. The fans will still come on automatically if the coolant temp gets too high, whether the switch is on or off. Also, the fan(s) will turn off when the bike is turned off if you happen to forget and leave the switch on and won't drain your battery.

Here's the thread: Custom Fan Switch

It was written for the 08 1000RR but the theory is the same for just about any model. Run a switched ground signal to the fan relay to the same terminal where the current one is located. Some bikes have only one fan so no need for a three-position switch in those cases, like the mod was written for.

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 05-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I ended up getting some diodes from Radio Shack so that I could wire the running lights into my 2 wire turn signals. Now the indicators are ALWAYS lit and flash OFF insteadof on. I think this makes them easier to see. The how-to I followed can be found here:

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-inputs-84998/

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some other cheap mods (under $20)

I did reflective rim striping. ($14)

Name:  100_7016.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  74.8 KB

As well as LED's in the air ducts, They are running/turn signals and my flush mounts are just turn signals, They kinda alternate when my blinker is on ($16)

Name:  100_6362-1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  23.6 KB

I changed the Gauge cluster LED's from the orange colour to blue. ($4)

Old:

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  15.3 KB

New:

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  34.2 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 PM

yeah I would say the f4i gauge cluster led swap is a great rainy day project...its super cheap and pretty time consuming hahah

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Also for the f4i you could do the pair valve mod (T mod, whatever you want to call it), tipover sensor bypass, and I think there's one more...

Oh passenger footpeg brake/turn signal mod

Quick Reply: The Cheap/Free Bike Mods Game...