General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging and warm start issue and i searched

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging and warm start issue and i searched

ok so here is the scoop i have a 94 900rr with almost 50k miles on it. my problem is shockingly a starting/charging problem. first let me start with the charging prob.

almost a year ago i purchased a new stator cause the bike died on me one night and when i checked system turned out the stator had an open somewhere. so i put a new one on got bike running took it out twice and on second time on way home i stopped at store and when i came back out bike almost didnt start and when it did the headlights did the got brighter with throttle thing. made it home and when i pulled in garage and shut it off i tried to restart 30 seconds later and nothing. got mad put it on charger and walked away. next morning came out to do a little trouble shooting and found the conector from stator to main harness was completely melted in to a white blob. got it apart and metered it and found the stator shot again. so pulled it off and looked at flywheel and found that it had a small ding on it that had made it almost touch the stator. so i ordered replacement and put both on bike and to my suprise the same thing is happening the connector is getting very very warm and im afraid to ride it for fear of it melting again. so i have tried all things i can think of. also before stator issue i had to replace the rectifier and during all of this it is getting really hot i mean to point of not being able to touch it.

so any ideas on this would help

now on to the start problem the problem i have is this, when the bike is cold it start very easy with no issue but as soon as it reaches operating temp. and i shut it off i will not start, it turns over very slow as if battery is dead but i have checked battery and its still has charge that manual says is acceptable. also when i try to start it makes all kinds of terrible noises like sputtering over a loud knock like sound and then it also stutters if i leave it alone and let it cool off same thing its like it has to be 100% fully charged and fully cold for it to start.

im afraid that if i dont solve these problems i am going to drop it in a lake cause i am so frustrated and tired of pooring money in to it. but i am attached to bike cause it is my first bike so i dont want to get rid of it if i can avoid it.

just a heads up that before all this stuff the bike was 100% reliable i never had start issues or charges issues hot or cold.

thanks for any help with these

also again i did a search for the following and did not find any answers

hot start
charging
stator
rectifier
flywheel bad
things like this etc.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:06 PM

since you went through two stators, i would suggest replacing the r/r. it probably is the cause for some of your problems. when the stator fried, it most likely took the rectifier with it. replace both with new ones.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Starting issue might be related to the stator/rr issue. Also, when was the last time the valve clearances were checked and the carbs sync'd?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

With wires melted, I'd suspect a bad wire grounding out somewhere along the way, a bad rectifier, or shorted battery. Remember, if the rectifier was bad, it more than likely shorted the battery internally. If you haven't replaced the battery, it may be the issue. A shorted battery can still show good voltage, but will fail a load test.

Take the battery in and have it load tested. Places like autozone or advance auto will usually do it for free. If it checks out ok, recheck the stator. If that checks ok, I'd suspect the rectifier.. this is of course after you have fully inspected all of the wires and ground on the bike.

The real issue here is sometimes, when one thing goes bad, it takes other things with it. You may be just chasing around one issue, that created another one, you find that one, but it also created another one... it can be very frustrating.

But, from the hot start issue, i"d really lean towards the rectifier overcharging the battery, or not converting the ac to dc power, which can ruin the battery as well.

Is your battery hot during the hard start condition? does it look like its mis-shapened? such as if the sides are bowed outwards?

Last edited by justasquid; 10-06-2010 at 07:46 PM.