General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600F2 Clutch Center locknut removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F2 Clutch Center locknut removal

I'm trying to put in a Factory pro shift kit on my 1993 CBR600F2. I have taken everything out successfully except now I cannot get the clutch center locknut off. My Clymer's manual says you need the special tool called "clutch center holder" to get this bolt off. I don't have it and don't want to buy it or have the dealer do it. Has anyone else taken this clutch center locknut off before? How else can I get it off in my own garage? Thanks for all the help. I can see where the shift components go now but without getting that stupid locknut off/on, I do not have access to do the job. Appreciate all the help!!!!!

P.S. Anyone know where to get a set of OEM mirrors for the F2 without paying a fortune? Thanks again!!!

Jeff
Sonoma, California

Old 02-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Default RE: CBR600F2 Clutch Center locknut removal

I actually just replace the outer basket on my 02 f4i. I had a 3 ft long , 6 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick scrap metal. I took the old metal clutch disk and drilled four 1/4 inch evenly space holes in the disk. Then i drilled the same pattern in the scrap metal. I then put 4 bolts through the scrap metal with a washer and tighten. Make sure the bolts are atleast 3 to 4 inches long and i think the bolts were 1/4 thick. after the bolts r tighten on the scrap metal put another set of nuts on the bolts then the metal clutch disk then nuts on top of that. You want the metal disk as far away from the scrap metal so you can properly insert to the clutch center. Tighten securely and make sure that the nuts are not in the way of the groove on the metal clutch disk so it can slide back on the clutch center. Make a hole in the middle of the scrap metal big enough so you can use your 30mm socket to loosen your lock nut. After you made your new tool slowly slide your new tool on the clutch center make sure the scrap metal bottom lays down on your left side to loosen the lock nut and right side to tight the lock nut. Dont forget to unstake your lock nut then replace with new one then tighten to 94lbf.ft and restake. I hope its not to confusing but i save several hundred of dollars doing it myself To be honest I replace the whole clutch system minus two washer, drive sprokect assembly and the clutch lifter plate for about $260 with a good seller that I order from. Good Luck!!

Supply are:
4 bolts 3 to 4 inch long 1/4 thick
4 washer
12 nuts
old metal disk plate
3 ft long, 6 inch wide 1/4 thick scrap metal
30mm socket
half inch extension
1/2 in drive 120lbs torque wrench

Old 07-30-2006, 04:50 AM

This is what I call true backyard American engineering. I love it. I spent alot of time today looking for the part but knowing there had to be a way to rig it. Thankyou. Ben Franklin would be proud.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:08 AM

An easier thing to do would be to use an impact wrench (1/2 inch drive). Or you could simply use a soft metal piece and place it between the clutch basket splines and the crankshaft splines. When the splines meet that soft metal, it will jam them. Then when you're done, simply back the crankshaft off in the opposite direction to release the metal.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 AM

I have an impact wrench that I use for clutch basket removal and reinstallation. It was pretty pricey--I bought the air compressor/tank for ~$180, an impact tools set for ~$100, and a set of torque sticks (which allow you to tighten a bolt to whatever the torque stick is rated for) for ~$70.

Sure, you could use something to hold the clutch basket in place while you try to detorque the nut with a really big breaker bar, but then you run the risk of damaging the clutch basket. I wanted an impact set for a while so having to install a shift kit was the final justification for doing so. What you use to do the job is up to you--just be careful or you could end up spending more than you would have if you'd just bought the right tools in the first place.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM

alright i know this is an old thread. but i cannot get my clutch out. i tried jamming it and the entire clutch rotates and i hear a hissing noise when i turn the breaker bar. I thought that it might have been because the bike was in neutral, so i tried putting it in first, but with no springs i don't think it did anything. please help i cannot afford a hammer wrench

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Hey Freekman,
Ok basically you need to make sure the clutch basket is held still either by buying a clutch holding tool or making your own. You can try the one above, don't know if it works, no disrespect just haven't tried it, or get 2 friction plates and 2 steel plates bolt 'em together (making sure they still go in the clutch) then bolt a length of metal to that. Also just thought have you bent out the little tabs on the centre nut that keep it in position?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That shaft is connected directly to the trans so yes putting it in gear helps. Haynes manual actually recommends putting it in 2nd gear as it is a higher gear and will take more torque to turn it. Also, with it in gear, have a muscular type friend help you by holding the rear tire from rotating as best he can. I assume the center nut has the same torque spec as the F1 which is 65 ft lbs, which is less than the lugnuts on your car, so you just need that rear tire to stop turning. Also try punching that locking tab out of the nub as best you can.

And that hissing sound you are hearing is normal, its the king cobra snake thats put behind every CBR's clutch basket. LOL No, its just your oil pump pumping oil through your engine when you rotate.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 AM

take about 3 feet if small rope and put it in a cylinder via spark plug hole...then rotate engine with breaker bar until it stops. make sure u go to the left to loosen. then after its off put new one on and go to the right till it stops and then tq to specs. then got back to the left a little and pull the rope out. make sure u leave like 8 inches of rope sticking out of spark plug hole