General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cbr 600 rr ticking after washing it, not cct

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr 600 rr ticking after washing it, not cct

hi all

i have a 2006 rr5 cbr 600rr

9k miles on it,

bike was running fine untill i washed it one day, first time i had washed it since buying, only used a hose pipe with a sprayer on the end, after washing i started it up, took longer than usual to start then it was running on 3 cyclinders and sounding pretty rought, but after it had been running a little and warmed up it was running ok apart from this ticking noise

its hard to describe, it gets faster with the revs, its like a hollow ticking noise, almost like a hydraulic lifter sound that ive heard on cars before. i took it to a local shop, he said straight away it was the cct, i thought otherwise after listening to videos on youtube of faulty ccts they were more of a rattling sound than a ticking. so i changed cct anyways cost me £80 for part and was exactly the same afterwards, no improvement, ive changed oil and filter, still no difference

so i took it to another bike shop, he said he would check all the valve clearances . now if he has or not i do no know, can only go off what hes said, but said everything was fine topend. but he still cudnt find the problem so he told me it must be one of the injectors, so i got a whole throttle bodie setup off a breakers and fitted this on and still no improvement

anyone have any ideas? ive not rid the bike since it started ticking, the bike starts and revs fine , no different to before the ticking. just it sounds crap lol and its really hard to pinpoint where the sound is coming from, ive been round the bike using a screwdriver to ear but carnt work this one out!

please help

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Ignition coil arcing maybe?

Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Yeah you may just want to let it dry out for a good 24-48 hours. There's got to be a short somewhere since the only thing that touch your bike was water.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM

i forgot to say this happend about 7 month ago, but i just never go round to having another look so its well dryed out, fitted the new throttle bodies yesturday and with it not improving thought i would try on here.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM

Oh haha. Yea I bet it's dry. You may have a mod move this thread to the 600rr section. You may get a better response there.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Mechanics stethescope? Plugs arcing out? Coil packs bad? if it goes up & down with the revs?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM
No Selling Until 100 Posts

If you've checked your valve lash and all are within specs, the next thing to check is the exhaust gaskets between the exhaust manifold and head. Sometimes, the nuts that hold the exhaust manifold to the head backs out and creates an exhaust leak. When this happens, it creates a tapping noise very similar to a valve with too much lash. The noise your hearing is the exhaust valves opening and closing. That's why it's consitant with the rpms. To fix the problem, apply blue loctite to the threads and retorque. If the noise goes away but comes back in a couple of days or weeks, replace the exhaust gaskets with new ones, apply loctite, and retorque.

Please keep us updated if this resolves your problem. This might help someone in the future.

Liem.