General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cbr 600 f3 question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cbr 600 f3 question

Ok, I bought an f3 that needed a engine and then I found one and bought it. Now i am half way done installing it. I got the engine in the bike and all of the electrical hooked up but not yet to the carbs, airbox, chain, tank, ect.. But here is my question. I hit the start button to check it and when i hit it I was looking in one of the holes where the cabs go and I could just barly see the that the pistons where going up and down but the vals arnt moving at all... Is this normal? So I pulled off the cover that you can see the lower part of the timming and hit the start again and the timing chain is spinning but still no valves moving. Im not much of a motor guy but I thought that the valves allways move when the pistons do. Please help because I stopped installing till this is figured out before putting the rest togeather and finding out I need a new head and hve to tear it all apart again..

Thanks For the Help if anyone knows...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:54 PM

If you are lookig into the intake (where the carbs go) what you see moving is probably the intake valve and not the piston. Pistons reside in a pretty dark area when the engine is assembled. If you really think you ear seeing the piston, check the compression on that cylinder. Someone may have sold you a motor that is not complete- ie minus valves. If you have no compression I would wonder what other parts are missing.

Good luck!
mikey

Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM

+1. Whenever you buy an engine, you should do an inventory of it's components, checklist style. This eliminates the possibility of what may have just happened to you - getting an incomplete engine.

To answer your question specifically: yes, the valves should move. They're controlled by a timing chain that syncs up with the crankshaft, so if the shaft moves, so should the valves. You are missing some component(s) in there somewhere. Time to crack is open and find out what.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 PM

So I found the problem.. The bolts that hold the cam gears to the cam shafts were missing, So I wnt and got new ones too find 3 of the 4 were stripped so I spent a few hours drilling and retapping them from a 7mm to an 8mm and redoing the timing. Then found out I had some bent valves.. Lucky I had a spare head laying arround.. So after a full day of work it should be good now..