General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 1999rr

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1999rr

Hi there i am new to your forum and was wandering if you could help well here it goes . I have a honda fireblade engined kit car that the fuel pump failed on . Since then I fitted a new fuel pump and cleaned the carbs three times as the engine would hesitate at around 9 thousand revs . I balanced the carbs and still the same . When I removed all four ram air socks the engine feels better than ever can anybody help . Also bought four new air filter socks and it does the same thing thinking that the old ones would be blocked up .

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

So the engine runs fine with no filter, but when you put the socks back on, it acts up?

the socks might be too restrictive and not allowing enough airflow and its chocking the engine. im not familiar with the airsock filters though so its just an idea, have you tried a different type of filter? See if it helps.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Yes I think you may be right but why would it run fine before even the old ones do the same thing ? . It's a strange one !

Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM

might just be how that type of filter flows. Try throwing 4 KNN filters on it. and see what it does.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also try a stock air filter if you have factory jets in it. The k&n is nice too.The "air socks" can be tricky to get right.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something that happens for the f3 with the k&n filters(still nice filters when "tuned". Not quite sure for the 900 but seems like a good place to look:,
Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Without stepping on toes here, I think Will.Bass is going to tell you that the K&N filter really changes the airflow characteristics that the carburetors as they sit can't compensate for. Subsequently you get a really nasty flat spot between 5K and 7K RPM. Unless you've got time and money to spend on a Dyno rejetting and tuning, stick with a standard paper filter for the F3.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM

yeah, the same thing is happening with his sock filters, anything you change from stock is going to need some kind of tweaking.

And his being on a buggy/car, i doubt hes got the big ugly airbox pointing to the sky.