General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB400T help please !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Going to order the Haynes manual for it today for a little more help.

See post above.................................free manual ?
None of the manuals are for this bike, even the cb400 one they have is not right, lol believe me i've looked for the free manual since i got this thing. All the ones that are free are for the more popular 400F model.

Having a new problem now i hope ya'll can help me with. Put the case back on and gave it a kick and the kickstart wont spring back up.....took the case off and kickstarted it and it comes back up like it should. Does it need oil in the case for it to spring back once kicked while the case is on ?

Old 05-09-2010, 05:02 PM

Update:

When i loosen the bolts around the kickstart a little it will come back up on its on, thinking maybe it's cause the gasket is no good on the case, and its getting to tight on the springs in the kickstart.

New gaskets wont be in til next week but ima try some gasket maker and see if i can get it to come back up on its own before then.

And ya the starter is spinning freely but the motor isnt turning over, so im guessing its the starter clutch that went bad.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM

Last kickstart bike I worked on was installing a 1075 kit in a KZ900, but it's been years since. The gasket shouldn't make a difference in the kicker coming back up. Does it have a coil spring? On the KZ, one end of the spring fit around shaft of kicker and other fit in recess in the engine case (not the cover) but yours may be different. You'll be good to go when you get a manual. To test the starter clutch, if it's good it'll spin freely in one direction and NOT spin in the other (at all).

Last edited by cbr900racer77; 05-10-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 AM

OK, i took out the kick start shaft that goes into the motor and the spring you mentioned had come out of the hole in the bottom of the shaft it was supposed to be in. Got it all put back together and now it will kick over and come back up on its own.

New problem hahha (my luck) It will not kick over when im pulling the clutch in....only when the clutch is depressed. Going to fill it up with oil today and see if the clutch isnt enabling cause of lack of oil.

Will also pull the starter and see if its turning in both directions, if so going to call and see what it will cost to rebuild versus buying another one. Can get a used one for $30-40, found a new one but its about $300.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Like I said, not familiar with that particular model, but starter clutch shouldn't be part of the starter. It's normally mounted on end of crank (large toothed gear). I'd check with manual first, but should be under lefthand engine cover. If it's bad, I'd just get a used one from junkyard.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Okay, here ya go. It IS like a normal clutch. Lefthand side of crank. Part #11 is what normally wears out. They get out of shape and won't hold gear while cranking. Either disassemble yours and make sure that's all it needs or buy a good used one somewhere. Check it by spinning it before taking anything apart. It'll freewheel in one direction but will stop dead in it's tracks when you try the other way. Shouldn't have any slack at all.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400t-ha...ist/E++14.html

Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Lol it must be bad then, the bolt that you have to take off to get all this out......you can't take it out cause the shaft spins ---- Both ways.

Nvm whats turning on me is the alternator assembly, but that's on the shaft so maybe the clutch is bad too.

Last edited by bigboi18184; 05-10-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 PM

Take the cover off with the starter installed. The big gear that the starter engages is the starter clutch. Remove the starter and try and turn the big gear in both directions.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Alright will try that, in the mean time i got the kick start working half way lol. Like i said it will kick over as long as you are not holding the clutch in. Got it started and rant it for a few mins, runs pretty good. Need a new petcock valve for it the one i got is brittle and the 90 degree spout broke off in the hose running to the carbs.

Got it rigged up right now so it will run though, just wouldn't ride it. Next step os to find out why it wont kick over with the clutch pulled and get the starter working.

Also let me get this right, take off the left side cover and remove the alternator assembly ( the gear is behind it...and see if the gear turns freely both ways?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:36 PM

Can you not get to that gear with the flywheel on it? (You can on most). All you need is finger room to turn the gear. Sorry if I'm being vague but like I said, no personal experience with this particular model. I did own one briefly. Only set of carbs I could not get clean. Idle circuit was clogged on one carb and I never did get it clean. Course that was probably 15 years ago. I'd like to think I've learned a few tricks since then LOL. I'll try and find pics online and see exactly how it's set up.

That's wierd that kicker won't work with clutch pulled in. The ratcheting mechanism should be working directly against the gear on back of basket. Clutch shouldn't affect it at all. You need a Clymer for it. For someone that's never done a job before, you can't beat Clymers. They have alot of pics and great instructions.

Last edited by cbr900racer77; 05-11-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: CB400T help please !!