General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

case welding

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally got some pics for you guys, let me know what you think:

Attached Thumbnails case welding-600rr-case-crack2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2009, 06:43 PM

and this is the piece that broke off:

Attached Thumbnails case welding-600rr-case-crack.jpg  
Old 11-02-2009, 05:11 AM

I appreciate it, thank you for the input.

My main concern is getting the case SEALED. I want to get that peice back in there and get it welded so the engine is all sealed up and ready to run again. There are 3 other motor mounts on the engine holding it firmly in place, so I'm not TOO worried about the STRENGTH/FUNCTION of the broken mount after it is welded.

If it is absolutely necessary to retain the function of this mount, its quite easy to loosen the other mounts and just pivot the engine forward, making the weld area very accessible. I know its in my best interests to retain the function of the mount, but is it plausible to just seal this break and disregard its mounting function?

Also, the broken peice fits nice and snug into the area it broke off of. It seems like if the peice can just be put back in, and someone runs a weld around it (with adequate accessibility), I should be in okay shape, right? (I hope!)

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Chrisct713; 11-02-2009 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM

I understand thats the most efficient way of going about this repair.... unfortunately however, my budget won't support the work it will take to rip this motor down to weld that piece properly. I'm going to try and get it welded the best I can from the exterior of the case and see how it turns out.

As far as the function of the mount goes, do you think I'll be okay by not mounting the engine from it after I get it welded? There are three other motor mounts on the engine to hold it in place... is this idea even plausible?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM

From the pictures, it looks like the engine mount is the least of your worries, it looks like the frame is pretty bent as well. If thats the case, you've got a really bad situation. Not to be mean, but if it is indeed bent, you might as well part the bike out. If the bike has a salvage title, there is no way the bike will pass inspection, nor should that bike be on the road. As hangfire said, the engine is actually part of the integrated structure. If that mount is tweaked, the other mounts surely saw some stress as well. I would be amazed if that bike tracked true.

Hopefully you didnt spend a ton of money on the bike, because it will take a lot of money to fix. You might be able to turn it into a stunt bike and sell it, but I doubt it will ever be road worthy without a new frame.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 AM

The bike was involved in an accident where it slid on the right side, the frame slider got caught on a small lip/curb, the slider broke off, tweaked the lower part of that section of the frame and broke that peice of the motor off. I got the bike as a project and hoped to build a decent track bike. I tore it all down and other than this little motor-mount set back, I'm almost done. I'm so close! No other parts of the bike have any significant damage, and the few parts that did, have been replaced. Every other square inch of the frame is untouched, unscratched, and straight. I'm going to see what I can do about dropping the engine forward slightly to make that cracked area more accessible and get it externally welded the best I can. The piece fits back in very tightly, and if the welder has good access to it, I don't see why it can't be securely welded. I also don't see any possibilty of small particles falling into the case since the piece fits snugly back into the hole with no gaps. I'm not in denial here, I understand what you guys are saying- I know that this isnt the BEST way to go about this repair, but I just wanted to get some input about giving the EASY way a shot before committing to investing A LOT more time and money. I've come a long way, I just really hope it works out!

Every time I have a problem with one of my bikes I jump on here and rely on you guys for help- your combined experience is priceless when it comes to diagnosing/accessing problems with these bikes. Not to mention, you guys don't waste any time in responding. Due to your experience, enthusiasm and commitment to riding, I have more trust in the people on this forum than I do in most of the shops around my area. Thanks everyone for your help, it is VERY much appreciated.

Last edited by Chrisct713; 11-03-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply: case welding