General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetors and Using Fuel System Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Carburetors and Using Fuel System Cleaners

I got a 93 F2 with 18K miles.

I'm pretty sure my carbs need cleaning. I can feel the throttle bogging esp at the low-end. Everything else works well. But had it cleaned about 6K miles ago.. I have a feeling my main jets are clogged again..

Now, I've used fuel system cleaners, preferably SeaFoam when I start to notice this loss of power. Once I put some in the fuel, it works like new! It's great, but i don't think it does any actual cleaning because once I just fill up without it, runs like crap again..

1)So my question is, does SeaFoam or other cleaners do any removing or actual cleaning? 2)When it's running really well on SeaFoam, is the SeaFoam actually cleaning out the clogged jets?
3)Or is it just making the engine run on "turbo" with the unclogged jets?
4)What can I do besides SeaFoam to clean it without having to take apart the carburetor?
5)Is a carb clean every 6K miles too often? What could make it so dirty so quickly?

6)By the way, what's the best price to get a carb clean and sync? I don't think i have the equip or the exp to take it apart myself.

Thanks, any feedback will help!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost sounds like a dirty fuel filter. If you ride regularly 6k miles is not a lot to have the carbs clogged ... unless your fuel supply is crap.

You don't have to be an expert or have a garage full of tools to sync and clean carbs. A decent manual and standard tools plus a carb sync tool (either mercury or with gauges) is all it takes. Just remember neatness counts when messing with the carbs so have a nice clean spot set aside to do the work.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 AM

I have an F4 and the previous owner did park it for atleast 1-2 years, carbs should be cleaned for sure, if ur bike has ever stood in place for a long time u NEED to get it done. Also, what kinda fuel grade are u using? If u constantly ride it during the year and keep up a high grade they should'nt get that dirty. Just to be on the safe side, if u can spend a lil money and find someone reliable to do the job get it taken care of. Once u get them clean and synch u wont have to worry for a long.......time. I just got a hold of a mechanic in town who actually worked for Team Honda back in the day. He's gonna clean, synch carbs and deep clean my fuel tank with some kinda acid wash deal all for bout $220! The dealer wanted to charge me more than $300!!!!

Also true, start with the in-line fuel filter, ive already replaced that and did fix the problem. Filter should be less than $8 so give that a try

Last edited by scastillo13; 01-29-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM

You need new spark plugs.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Im in a similar boat. 93 400rr. Parked it last March but was smart enough to stabilize the fuel in the tank and run it through for several minutes before shutting down. Problem is that I dont know when the last time the carbs were cleaned, plugs replaced or fuel filter inspected for flow capability. Air filter is nasty so I will replace it and the fuel filter to start. If that doesnt work, I'll proceed to plugs and carb clean/sync. Any other suggestions?