F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fuel Injector Cleaners... opinions?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Default Fuel Injector Cleaners... opinions?

Howdy everyone. I was cleaning out the garage the other day and found some concentrated fuel injector cleaner that my dad bought for his car but never got around to using. I searched the forum but ended up even more lost and confused than ever. This thread especially https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...jector+cleaner confused me.

1) Can I use a product that was intended for cars on my f4i?
2) What difference did those of you who tried a f.i.c notice?
3) How much should I be using at one time? Someone wrote that they used a whole bottle at one time while others have said one ounce for every gallon.
4) I also read something about not going past 7,000 rpm after using the cleaner... whats that all about? There was also something about predetonation... can anyone please clarify?
5) Is it possible to do more harm than good by using this product?

Please enlighten me with knowledge! Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Injector Cleaners... opinions?-img_0547.jpg  

Last edited by thef4i; 05-26-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Thought of another question
Old 05-26-2009, 06:45 PM

I just use lucas oil upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner every 2000km or so just as a precautionary measure.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

That stuff's meant to clean injectors in gasoline 4-stroke engines, which is what the F4i has. The "concentrated" label is more of a marketing gimmick, so you think your getting more. If it were me, I'd pour in 1/3 to 1/2 the bottle and fill up the tank with gas. As with the pre-detonation, that's more likely in high compression engines. These engines run good on 85 octane so I'm about 99.9% sure it won't be a problem. I've ran Sea Foam through mine, and I believe psychologically (in my head) it ran better.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the inputs.

Can you clarify a little about the high compression engine and the octane thing please? I really don't want something happening to my engine. Thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Wink

Octane rating is basically the measure of resistance that certain fuels have to detonation. The higher the octane rating, the more pressure is required to achieve proper detonation. High performance engines utilize higher than normal compression ratios in their combustion chambers, thus when a lower than recommended octane gasoline is utilized in these engines, the fuel will have a tendency to detonate before the piston is at TDC (top dead center), so you end up with pre-detonation, aka: pinging.
Most engines (including the F4i) do not require the use of high octane gasoline simply because they're not designed with high compression combustion chambers. A good rule of thumb is to utilize the lowest octane rating which doesnít exhibit pinging. Along those lines, using a higher octane gasoline in an engine not designed to do so, will not improve performance, although most oil companies would like to make you believe that it does; high octane/more money.
EDIT: I should add that some pinging is not harmful to the engine, but it should be addressed by switching gasolines. Running an engine continuously which exhibits pinging would however eventually cause damage to the piston rings, valves, ect.

Last edited by Incognito; 05-27-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Thank you for the detailed response.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Octane rating is basically the measure of resistance that certain fuels have to detonation. The higher the octane rating, the more pressure is required to achieve proper detonation. High performance engines utilize higher than normal compression ratios in their combustion chambers, thus when a lower than recommended octane gasoline is utilized in these engines, the fuel will have a tendency to detonate before the piston is at TDC (top dead center), so you end up with pre-detonation, aka: pinging.
Most engines (including the F4i) do not require the use of high octane gasoline simply because they're not designed with high compression combustion chambers. A good rule of thumb is to utilize the lowest octane rating which doesnít exhibit pinging. Along those lines, using a higher octane gasoline in an engine not designed to do so, will not improve performance, although most oil companies would like to make you believe that it does; high octane/more money.
EDIT: I should add that some pinging is not harmful to the engine, but it should be addressed by switching gasolines. Running an engine continuously which exhibits pinging would however eventually cause damage to the piston rings, valves, ect.
did you post this in the forum about what octane to run in an f4i?

maybe this would help make sense for some.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Default update

I finished the bottle of fi cleaner last week. It might be the placebo effect but the bike seems to be running more smoothly. Whatever it is, its worth a try for 5 bucks.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 AM

Chevron with Techron works the best