General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbs gunked / fuel in oil / what now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbs gunked / fuel in oil / what now?

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been around here, but I need some suggestions to get my old lady back on the road. Here goes...

This all started last fall, I was riding daily but then it started to get cold. The petcock on my bike never worked, so I never turned the fuel off, ever, for 3-4 years. It never caused a problem really because I rode daily, I suppose, but after about 3-5 days sitting with the fuel on, it eventually flooded the carbs, I presume. This one sad day, the bike started up fine, choke on, warming her up. However, the idle never rose above 1200, even after the bike was plenty warm. Take the choke off, it died. So at this point, the bike was running, but would never increase idle over 1200 despite being at operating temp. Obviously, something was wrong. Checking the oil I discovered fuel in the oil. I had purchased a new petcock previous to this, but was waiting to put on my clean fuel tank, filter, fuel lines, etc. My old fuel tank was fiberglass patched to no end. After I discovered the fuel in the oil, I immediately put on the new fuel tank and working petcock to prevent the issue from reoccuring. I changed the oil twice to rid it of fuel. After changing the oil, the bike still had the same issue with the low idle. Although I'd like to think I am, I am not a mechanic...thus I was waiting for someone to help me go through the carbs and within a week or two, the bike wouldn't even start. It would turn over on carb cleaner, but not start on the bike's fuel supply. I attempted to clean the carbs, but I couldn't be sure I did it well enough or correct for that matter. I cleaned the varnish out of the float bowls and soaked all the parts I could remove in carb cleaner. It didn't work. Since then, the bike sat and has not run and I have not had any help with it. It won't even turn over on carb cleaner anymore. Trying to get my dad over to help me (he's actually a mechanic, but also very busy), but that's a push in itself. Obviously, the first step is to ensure the carbs are cleaned right. Any suggestions as to why the bike won't turn over? Other recommendations as to what I need to do to fix her?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start Simple, work hard.

1) Check and make sure you have a good strong battery. If it isn't firing on carb fluid, then it's not going to start on fuel.

2) make sure your petcock is flowing fuel properly.

3) Pull the carbs and clean the pilot jets throughly. Also inspect the floats and the float needles, as even with a open petcock, the floats should not let more fuel into the bowls than the carb can handle.

Good luck and have fun

Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the carbs and clean the pilot jets throughly. Also inspect the floats and the float needles, as even with a open petcock, the floats should not let more fuel into the bowls than the carb can handle.
This is also be one of my first steps as well. As said, the float needles, if properly seated, will not allow anymore fuel into the carbs. the petcock failing really has nothing to do with the flooding issue. You have either a mis-adjusted float, or dirt between the needle and seat of one or more of the carbs. Also, the pilot jets are responisble for metering of fuel and air at idle. so if its not idling, they are probably plugged up. Those are the jets located on the outside of the float bowl towards the front of the carb on the bottom. They are usually adjusted to around 2 turns out, or within a half turn of that either way, but 2 turns is a good starting point. Or, count how many turns it takes to bottom them out, then you know where they are at. Just be careful and gently bottom them out. You don't want to damage the needles.

Any suggestions as to why the bike won't turn over?
If you mean it won't fire, then the spark plugs are more than likely fouled. In fact, a lot of your symptoms are that of failing sparkplugs. When they have a weak spark, starting fluid still ignites, but gas won't.

When the bike ran at 1200rpms, did it sound normal? Or did it sound like a V-twin. If it sounded muffled and like a twin cyilinder, I would guess you already had a plug fouled, then by running it and trying to start it, the others fouled out as well.

I would first, check the sparkplugs and make sure they are firing. If they are wet, and or the spark is orange like. I would probably replace them. Then, if the bike still doesn't start on its own, ( refrain from using starting fluid), move onto pulling the carbs and fully cleaning them.

Checking the oil I discovered fuel in the oil
Just curious. How did you determine there was gas in the oil? Was your oil level higher than what it was normally? Was it thinned out? Generally, unless there is a very large amount of gas in the oil, its very difficult to tell since they mix so well together.

Last edited by justasquid; 09-30-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, good info and a good starting point.

I guess there was a decent amount of fuel in there then, because I could tell from the consistency, but mainly the smell. I still have to make some room in my garage before I can tear her apart, but I'll report back as to what I find.