General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb syncing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carb syncing question

SYNC'N carbs, WHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've met some good tuneup people..." I just do'm by ear", Walk away and giggle. NObody can get'm as close as a gauge, by ear, feel ,smell or "the force" !!!!!!!!!!!!! may I speek freely, of just another episode of, "i'd like to learn how to do that"!!!!!!?????

WARNING********* If you have or get mercury gauges(carb stik type)... any mercury, is to be treated w/ respect and safety guidlines!!!!!!!!
Dont leave merc "open" to the atmosphere, plug the ends of the tubes,when finished. this stuff boils off like steam, off a kettle. At room temp.

Don't suck on the lines for fun !!!!!!!!!

Dont heat it up... NO mr. science projects !!!!!!!!

don't pour it into your hand. Or try to pick it up. Unless you have to dispose of a spill... I believe it is illegal to just thow away.

NASTY stuff, exspensive (at a compound pharmacy)

Ok, I about(did) geek'd, when I sucked the merc resivoir dry, on my first atempt at sync'n, afew calls revealed... A. Nobody knew where to get more/any. B. Nobody knew if I just wasted my engine... Answers...
A. compound pharmacys. (they make drugs out of bulk ingreadiants) after he realized I was serrious, he said "180$, and 2-3 wks"!!!!!!! thankyou, bye. I called auto/racing, bike shops, people just confusidly giggled. One place, I called said," my brother, the gold prospector, has a bunch" EURIKA !!!!!!!!! also people who decomision thermostats(electritions and contractors) have to account for the Mec switches, and usualy have a bottle of it around. My new gold miner friend, thought it was a novel use and filled up my tictac size resivoir, for free. Thanks Clint !!!!!!

OH, YA...B. Hey, it went in my engine,****!!!!!!! No worrys!!!!! It dosen't hurt a thing, maybe a lb., would tho...
Keep that resivior phisicaly as low as possible,and the lines verticaly,as tall as possible, (my 1st mistake) and don't "gun the engine"(2nd mistake!!!!) no need, gently bring up the R's a couple 100, if needed, to resettle merc levels... Or bye bye !!!!!!!

One piticular local tunning legend, did a vw (only two carbs)for me...w/o gauges. he was off 3inches,(merc levels) when I took it home to validate/check!!!!
the sync, is a real improvment for throttle crispness, and should only be done at a idle, as chainstreatcher says. I do believe, if your sync is somewhat/really uneven, it helps to put them in eveness, all through the rpm range, but off idle, crispnes is mostly, what this is about.
Usualy one carb is static(unadjustable) and you would sync, the others to it.

Warm up the bike, set a large voulume fan,at the radiator.I set rpm, w/ a remote digital tac only. then sync, then readjust idle, then adjust the air bleeds, then finnish sync, then set idle again, checking the remote tac, and sync levels, all the time Gently blipp'n the R's, a couple hundred , every once in a while. It takes a few trys, work'n through the adjustments, to cordinate them into the sync, but you can do it, w/ patiance, and logic.
I use petrol. jelly on the o-ringed tubes, that you screw into the manifolds, to preclude air leaks... make sure you intakes are tight and your air box connections, as these"anchor" your carbs, befor you start.
I did a friends 92 vt 1100, in less than 10 min, yesterday, it perked right up!!!!!!!!!! (off, about 3"!!!!) and just two cyl.!!!!!!!!!

I've got a few bikes... and as everbody i know, could benifit, from a sync... I bought the 100+$ mac tool carb screw adjusting tool. Thumb wheel on one end, 1 1/2"bent, 55 degree 1/4" male socket end, the other. W/ 14', between !!!!!! a great assortment of ends to fit all kinds of adjusters, including allen heads. WHOLE HEARTEDLY RECOMENDED, if you can swing it. They are truley horrible to reach w/o it, on most bikes, no ratchet slop, slipp'n off... sceamming !!!!!!!

I was amazed at the smooth take off response, after my first finished sync job. Have fun!!! Clean an