General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb leak help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb leak help!

I just put a set of carbs on my 93 cbr 600 and when I went to start it up, it started leaking gas from the carb #1 screw on the side of the petcock. It leaked an insane amount of gas from that screw and I have no idea why.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

It's hard to tell if you're talking about a screw on the carburetor (which screw on the carburetor) or a screw on the side of the petcock.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wassup man, maybe just guessing you might need to check your vacuum line coming from your gas tank to the side of the carb. I know when I got a set of carbs for my f3 , the screw on the side was loose. The f2 has a vacuum line, were as the f3 has a screw in this spot. When sitting on the bike, I think you are talking about it leaking on the left hand side. I would also check your "t" split gas line going to the carbs from the gas tank.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardzx7
Wassup man, maybe just guessing you might need to check your vacuum line coming from your gas tank to the side of the carb. I know when I got a set of carbs for my f3 , the screw on the side was loose. The f2 has a vacuum line, were as the f3 has a screw in this spot. When sitting on the bike, I think you are talking about it leaking on the left hand side. I would also check your "t" split gas line going to the carbs from the gas tank.
Like Edward mentioned, the t-split, that's actually the most common spot..
And not that bad to replace.. actually you can find carb rebuild kits on fleebay for short money, they have the little round rubber gaskets that go on the t- fittings..

Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Are you talking about the really small t that runs to the evap control valve or the bigger t that runs to the fuel filter? When I even try starting it its leaking out of a screw on the underside of carb #1.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:05 PM

Ok when you say under side of carb do you mean the bottom of the float bowl? If so just tighten the screw and you should be good to go

Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM

if its just a screw , then tighten it!!
just remember a "93" is twenty years old and although when i was 20 i was def in my prime and feeling great .. , your motocycles gaskets are not!! sometimes a quick rebuild might just be in order...
post a vid if you want us to look at it!!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:08 AM

It's like under the float, but I tightened it and it still leaks. Possibly the float is just stuck? I'll post pictures when I get to my garage.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 AM

my gut tells me its the fittings ...
ok, when you tried to tighten it, did that slow the drip???
i say my gut is saying the fitting because you just put the carbs back which means things have been disturbed.. the gaskets on the tfittings end up with this crust that sometimes build up on them and depresses the gasket unevenly, usually a good gasket will spry/spring back!! but we're taliking 20 year old gaskets thats on an actual moving part.. those fitings move up and down , about half inch and even more if the carbs are seperated, which by the way, really isnt as bad as one might think.. if the carburator is out, its only a couple bolts very long threaded ends and bam you can pull the carbs apart fairly simple.. even get at just the outer carb banks without having to disasemble eveything..
you really should post a vid, if you want the best advice from this forum...alot of us have had problems like this before and a good visual stimulation will def stir the memory banks and give you the best advice without actually being there, although you could always just buy another one off fleebay,, at 20 years old, might not be a bad idea having an extra on anyway..
jay