General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB + HEAD GASKET QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARB + HEAD GASKET QUESTION

So I have an 88 600 Hurricane thats pretty close to idling by itself. I have to use starting fluid and it last about 3-4 seconds. Put new spark plugs in and The exhaust looks either clear or white. It will respond to the throttle but then die really quick. If i put the choke on all the way its really close to idling and will last about 8 seconds ish. ( I did all this carb work before trying to get it running) I've known its needed a carb clean so i went for it. The problem is that i was only able to get to the float bowl side. The SCREWS on the needle side cover were just to tight for me to get them off. I tried spraying WD-40 on the screws and lettin them sit for 10 minutes to see if they'd loosen up, but it didnt work. If i would have tried harder i would have totally stripped em.
Does anyone have a good way to get those really stubborn screws out. In my FSM it says you need one of those hammer/screwdriver things that when you hit it it also turns the screw. I talked to a guy and he said you can really mess stuff up if you use those though. ANY ideas guys?

Also i noticed when trying to start it that its leaking coolant and found that its coming from the rear right corner head gasket. Ive got a picture of it. (The bike was recently layed down and wrecked by a friend of mine into the back of a car at 35 mph, i then bought the bike from him hoping to fix it) Does this mean the bike is done for and i shouldnt spend any more money on it? I talked to the service guy at the dealer and he said that the gasket is most likely just bad and nothing else in the engine is messed but that i'd have to get in there and look though. THAT SOUND RIGHT? And how hard is a head gasket replacement. I checked in the FSM and it doesn't look to bad. IS there anything i need to really watch out for if i try to change out the gasket?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24362/0CC4DF0A336C4A3FBC46316503D0ADCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CARB + HEAD GASKET QUESTION

I dont think that you have a carb problem, I think you have a compression issue. I agree with the mechanic that said you have a blown head gasket. The white smoke is from it leaking coolant into the cumbustion chamber. The couple things that come to mind is to not drop the cam chain into the block and to make sure you tighten bolts down in the correct order.