General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I test these things?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I test these things?

92 600 F2

So I'm pretty sure that nothing works properly on my cooling system. The bike has been frequently overheating and shutting down on me.

The temp gauge doesn't work right. It never goes below about 1/3 the way up and never goes above about 7/8 the way up. Would this be the gauge or the sensor that controls it? Or both?

The fan definitely seems to turn on a little late and shut off before it should. The sensor in the radiator would be the culprit here.

The thermostat probably is fine but I've already got one on order so nevermind that.

The water pump appears to be brand new and spins freely.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot... Yes, there is coolant in the system.

My question is; is there any way to test all these components to ensure that they work properly? Nobody likes to spend money if they don't have to.

Last edited by mdowney421; 06-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdowney421
92 600 F2

So I'm pretty sure that nothing works properly on my cooling system. The bike has been frequently overheating and shutting down on me.

The temp gauge doesn't work right. It never goes below about 1/3 the way up and never goes above about 7/8 the way up. Would this be the gauge or the sensor that controls it? Or both?

The fan definitely seems to turn on a little late and shut off before it should. The sensor in the radiator would be the culprit here.

The thermostat probably is fine but I've already got one on order so nevermind that.

The water pump appears to be brand new and spins freely.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot... Yes, there is coolant in the system.

My question is; is there any way to test all these components to ensure that they work properly? Nobody likes to spend money if they don't have to.
Check the service manual for the info. On my f4i I think the fan comes on about 190? These bikes run HOT!!!!!!!!!! The sensor can be ohms tested, but i forget if it should read open or closed? The book has the exact parameters for what you need, fan (on and off temp.) and testing the sensor, good luck. Oh yeah, make sure you have coolant in the reserve tank and you are using the proper coolant for your bike.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might check/replace the pressure cap, as well. If it is popping early, the system
doesn't build up proper pressure and re-circulate as efficiently.

Be sure to inspect the radiator.
Look for crushed fins or obstructions that could be reducing air-flow through it.

It may not be the cooling system at fault, although it's a good idea to do a complete
inspection/overhaul, on a bike with your age.

Also check the charging/electrical system, specificaly the regulator/rectifier.
Look for heat sign on the connector(s) and the r/r itself. If the r/r is beginning to fail,
as the bike heats up, it will starve the ignition circuit. This will lead to bogging, stuttering
and a general loss of power. Up to and including shut-down of the engine. After it cools down,
it will start/run fine, until the r/r heats up again.

Here's a couple of links to the diagnostics, on r/r and electrical-related issues...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Follow the links on this page for a flow-chart and general info on bike electrical systems...

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Hope this helps, Ern