General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I sand my carb (plastic) slides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I sand my carb (plastic) slides?

I think 1-2 of the carb slides on my CBR1000F is sticking. Is it OK to gently wet'n'dry them and the carb bores or do I risk damaging them and making things worse?

Old 07-07-2018, 01:59 PM

Forgot to mention in the posting that the slides are plastic not metal.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Sure, but I wouldn't. If they are the slides intended for your carbs, they aren't the issue. They just travel up and down in the slots for which they were made.
​​​​​Either theres another issue or someone at some other time put the incorrect slides in the carbs.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM

There's no other issue and they are the original slides. I've been having carb problems, cleaned them twice and the slides are still sticking. So I need to "clean" the slides/bores better. Carb cleaner hasn't done anything for them.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

What I meant by another issue is that something is keeping them from traveling correctly. My guess is that even if you do sand them the issue will remain. If so change the diameter of the bore, (the hole in which the needle sits, correct?) it seems that the needle won't function properly.
What brand of carb cleaner are you using? That stuff is pretty caustic, in so much that it will literally eat away your fingerprints.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 AM

Hamblin6, I've just been out again trying to gather more "diagnostic info" without going too far from home(if you know what I mean) and before doing any drastic work to the carbs! It's not as "simple" as I first thought. The "sticking" seems to have miraculously disappeared but the thing doesn't want to run at low revs/idle. Now I seem to have returned to a previous problem where one of the cylinders (always No2) isn't running. This has been covered to some extent in another thread I started with some weeks ago and thought I'd solved by cleaning the idle jets. Then the problem returned and I eventually gave a second clean (primarily the idle jets + float valves and petrol strainers). The symptoms then turned into an "overevving" after opening the throttle and pulling the clutch which made me think it could be sticking slides. But this morning that problem has been replaced by the running on 3 cyldrs issue and it's starting to drive me potty. I do NOT now think the slide sticking is the existing/main problem as stood in the garage at idle cyldr2 is not running and that can't be a slide related issue (right?) - as the throttle is closed anyway. I can't understand why I keep having this same issue. I even installed a fuel filter (I think you were one of the helpful contributors to that too) to try to avoid any crud invasion but the 3-out-of-4 cyldrs problem remains. I'm half way through pulling the carbs for a third time so anything you or anyone else wants to throw into the equation - just feel free as I'm losing the will to live on this sunny Sunday afternoon.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Man, in my opinion you would be best served with pulling the carbs and totally dismantling them. Totally break apart the rail and go over everything with a fine tooth comb. In your other thread Hawk linked a video. The level that they video guy broke it down is what I'm talking about. That is the only way you are going to insure you are good to go.

As to the #2 issue, it could be a symptom of crud in that particular carb that hasn't gotten through. If you are sure the plug is firing, then it has to be related to the carb.

I know that going to that level of cleaning is a pain and takes time, but you will gain time in the long run.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Hamlin6, I hear what you say, but honestly I think getting in that deep is possibly a step too far for me personally. Getting hold of replacement parts would be a nightmare if at all possible and then getting the setup correct after that is beyond my skill set (and time available). I'm thinking of taking the carbs off, doing what I can and seeing what that gives. Otherwise, well I'm not sure what "otherwise" means.....The bike is in stunning condition (apart from this "minor issue" lol) and after owning her for 26 years out of 27 I'm pretty attached to her.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly it's not as hard as it looks. When you see the whole set broken down there looks to be a zillion parts. But There's just a few things to keep in mind when doing it. Patience is the best tool to have when doing it. Other than that, there are tons of videos and how to threads to walk you through it. Plus there are those on this forum that have been through it who are glad to help.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:56 PM

It's not so much the taking it apart and putting it back together that phases me, it's if I find something that needs replacing (or I damage something in the process) I'm not sure I'll be able to find replacements and how long it would take to find and source them. And then there's the setting up afterwards...? Now that I'm part way to dismounting the carbs I'm going to start her up again in the morning (too noisy to do it now - I'm a thoughtful neighbour!) and see what symptoms reveal then to help guide me what to concentrate on once they're off. To check there is no vacuum leak, am I right in thinking I can spray a little WD40 around the carb insulators, for example, and that will make the engine noise will change if there's a leak?

Quick Reply: Can I sand my carb (plastic) slides?