General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me get my bike started?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me get my bike started?

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and a novice at working on bikes. So it didn't take me long to get stumped. I have a 2002 600f4i that sat for almost three years. I recently changed the plugs, oil, filters, and coolant. I drained some old gas that was in there and replaced it with new. Once everything was done I started the bike and it fired right up. I rode it around the block and then it died. I restarted it and it was blowing out a lot of bluish white smoke out the pipe and get dying unless I continually rev'd it. The bike died again but now it won't even turn over let alone start. I put the battery on a tender and tried again, but all it does is make a loud click near the battery and then a high pitch whining sound then nothing. Any help on what I should do next would be great.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Default RE: Can anyone help me get my bike started?

first did you change your fuel filter (it may have some sedament in it )? how many miles on it? did you trie to clean out the inside of the tank and check for rust? does your starter try to fire or is the click comming from the starter? you may have a bad starter. as far as the smoke could be some old fuel in the lines or it could be the piston rings.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 PM

there was no sign of any rust in the tank, andI didn't change fuel filter because I didn't know there was one. It has 12000 miles on it. The fuel pump comes on but the starter doesn't even try to fire. Is there a way to check the stator?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 PM

it damn sure aint your stator at this point.if the battery is fully charged then you either have a starter issue or a starter relay issue or perhaps a starter button issue,or anything in that circuit.blue smoke is burning oil,you may need rings or valve seals,best way to tell is do a compression check.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM

if you plan on doing most stuff your self get a repair manual for your bike. i have 3 books for mine and they have saved me a lot of $$$, just make sure that they are very descriptive.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 PM

the one thing that kinda worries me is you changed the coolant. If you didnt purge the system completely, it may have overheated and locked up the engine. Being that you started to see smoke and such before it died makes me wonder if thats what happened.

Try to bump start the bike. Turn your ignition on, put the bike in second gear. With the clutch pulled in, have someone push you and a good pace and then dump the clutch. The engine should at the very least spin over. If all is well, it should start.

If the bike does start. Run it for about 500 miles and change the oil again. You may have stuck rings and or dried up valve seals. Sometimes, the rings will unstick and the seals will swell and start working again.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try tonight.