General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new chain, sprockets later

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new chain, sprockets later

Okay, so its really really time to buy a new chain. But I don't have the cash for sprockets too. I inspected both the front and rear sprockets carefully, and they both look very good for having been used for darn near 14,000 miles. For general information, I have a CBR600F4i with the stock sprockets. 16 teeth front, 46 teeth rear (i think?)

Here's what I'd like to do.
1. Buy a new chain. I plan on getting the D.I.D. 525vm2 110 link with the master rivet (suggestions welcome).
2. Install the new chain on my old sprockets. Again, I compared the sprockets to the ones in my service manual. The teeth still look practically brand new on both the front and the rear.
3. Later, (probably not after too many miles, since winter's coming up soon) I'll install new sprockets. I plan to go the opposite way, maybe 1 up and 2 down (as opposed to 1 down and 2 up). I don't mind sacrificing some acceleration for a bit more top speed and fuel economy.

So, I have some concerns about this:
1. Although I don't personally think it'll be a problem, does anyone think that my old sprockets will wear my new chain faster than it should? Again, they look very good for having nearly 14,000 miles. Does anyone strongly suggest I replace one or both of the sprockets?
2. When I do change the sprockets, am I going to have a problem with how long the chain is? I would think that if I go down in teeth that the chain would be too darn loose for the bike. I don't completely understand that. Would I need to cut a link off? I don't know... That's why I'm asking you guys.
3. Also, I never really have heard of someone going a tooth up in the front or down in the back. Is that a bad idea? Will I see a difference in top speed or fuel economy? Will it make a huge hit to my acceleration?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Buying new chain, sprockets later

I'll always suggest replaceing the whole thing as a set. you got a picture to share? I'd like to see these Sprockets of yours after 14k miles and still 'brand new'.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

I'd like to see these Sprockets of yours after 14k miles and still 'brand new'.
That would have to be some *gentle* riding.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 PM

I can get a pic tomorrow. But, any comments on the other stuff?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:33 PM

I'm no expert on the F4i, so i can't say anything about weather or not the chain will fit without knocking some links out, or that your gearing change will be an improvement on mileage definitively. I was toying around with the idea of going to the extreme with my RR with gearing. i was ready to install a 17/39 before my trip to duluth/California, but riding turned out to be completely unfeasible and i just left it well enough alone. gearing down is no guarantee that your MPG will improve certainly one would think that less bangs per second equates to less fuel burned, but in all reality it boils down to how much HP does it take to keep you going forward, and then how much can you take off before you're using more throttle to get more work done?

If you've got the money (and it really doesn't sound as though you do) experiment. YMMV as will everyone else's... i know it takes more HP to move my fat *** around than one more fit...

Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks for your advice. I counted the links on my chain, and there is 110 links on it. So with stock sprockets, a chain with 110 links should be fine -- right?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theoretically and mostly likely yes...like almost 100%, but who knows what will happen when you get it ;-) that's why they make chains in 120 links and then you just cut to fit, but some shops, like www.sprocketcenter.com will cut down to the number of links you need if you tell them ahead of time.

DID is an awesome choice no matter which line of chain you use.

as for the gearing, i would do more than maybe +2 in the rear...reasoning behind that is that F4i has such sloppy low RPM...and for it to be any sloppier will definitely fubar your riding, as backed by knight.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks, Tahoe. I've decided I will go ahead and replace the sprockets immediately, too. I need brand recommendations. I'll search too, but I wanna hear what you all have to say.

Tahoe, or anyone else: does going +2 have a huge affect on fuel economy?