General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light stays on

just bought a 06 cbr 600 has aftermarket tail lights and blinkers and the brake light is always on not the running light the brake light i took the spring off didnt work and i looked at the front brake and it seems to be connecting any ideas

my horn and the actually blinker lights on the dash wont work thanks for the help

Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Not a lot of information to go on. But the first thing I would do is disconnect the brake light switches on the front and foot control. If the light goes out with either of those removed, you know its somewhere in that circuit. If it stays on, its possible the person who did the work on the bike wired it in wrong and has the running light hooked up to the brake light wire at the tailight.

The concerning thing is the horn not working along with the blinkers. Most bikes will have the brake light, horn and blinkers all on the same fuse. So if something happened to that system, it would mess everything up. But for now, I would at least check the fuse to make sure its ok.

The bad part of buying a used bike with issues is that you have no idea what the previous owner did. For all you know, he could have blown the fuse, and not knowing how to diagnosis it, he just wired the brake light up constant. I've seen odder things happen.

The hard part is for you just to make sure everything is wired up correctly and the fuses are all good. Thats the only way your going to solve this one.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM

well so far i have checked the fuses and i have taken off the spring on the rear and the front switch is clicking so i dont believe its stuck what about the horn?? thanks for the help

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Looking carefully at the back light and with someone's help, press the foot brake pedal and see if the lower watt light in the rear light unit comes on. If it does then the wiring is, as you suspect feeding the wrong way round. If you take the bulb out and, using a multimeter, connect it to each bulb contact inside the bulb holder, you can determine which contact is doing what. Put the red lead of the mulitmeter on one contact and the black one to earth on the bike or the inside edge of the bulb holder. Now with the ignition on, press the foot brake and see which contact moves the needle on your meter, which needs to be set to direct current. This is the contact that should be going to the 21watt connection on the bottom of the bulb. As for the horn and blinker lights not working, you'll need to use the meter to check the wiring to the horn/headlight/indicator switch for a feed and earth. Not easy to do if you haven't done it before, but you need to know if the switch is getting power. If it isn't then it can't feed to the indicators or horn. I wish you all the best, but see if a neighbour or friend can help?

Originally Posted by lcpl1014
just bought a 06 cbr 600 has aftermarket tail lights and blinkers and the brake light is always on not the running light the brake light i took the spring off didnt work and i looked at the front brake and it seems to be connecting any ideas

my horn and the actually blinker lights on the dash wont work thanks for the help

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM

thanks im gonna try that tom ill post the results

Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 AM

ok so i got it working now who ever installed the led lights ran a constent hot wire and not only that had to small of fuses in it so i rewired and refused and everything works fine now thanks for all the help

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM

glad you got it fixed.

and thanks for letting us know. Most of the time, the OP never posts back with the results. Its nice to see someone taking the effort to post back.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM

maybe what i had to say will help someone out