General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Drag?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Drag?

I've noticed that my front wheel doesn't seem to be as free as it should be. (I just had new tires mounted and balanced and put them back on myself) I thought maybe it was the calipers, but upon inspecting and cleaning them I've found that brake drag is still there. Anyone know how to adjust this??? When I tighten the bolts on the calipers, the tighter I get them, the more drag there is. I thought about spacers or something? If this is a simple fix, I'd rather know how to do it myself rather than taking it to the stealership. Any advice will be appreciated. thanks guys!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Default RE: Brake Drag?

There is always a certain amount of brake drag that occurs. It is probably something that you have never noticed before and now that you put your own rims back on you're paranoid about it. Happenes to me every time I work on my bike too. You can hear the brakes agains the rotors right? It's normal. Unless you spin the wheel and it simply wont roll at all, then you may have an issue. Other wise you're probably fine.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:32 PM

No, there is significantly more drag than there needs to be. I spin it and in a matter of a couple of rounds, it's comes to a complete stop. This makes it kinda scary when pulling up the front end in a wheelie. I'm thinking it's gotta be something in the calipers that is causing it to not spin like it should. OR maybe the newer bikes are just like that? My last "new" bike was a '86 VFR, so maybe I AM just paranoid??? LOL!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 AM

It stands to reason there is nothing wrong with it. I spin mine and with in a couple rotations it'll stop, same with the rear.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 AM

When you re-installed your axle, did you set your forks in by rolling forward and backwards and hitting the brakes each time? You should do this before you tighten your pinch bolts otherwise you could cause the forks to be tweaked a little bit which would therefore cause your brake calipers to be mis-aligned. Jack up the front again and loosen the pinch bolts. See if either of the forks pop outward. If they do, then they were just pulled in a little bit. Either way, once the pinch bolts are loosened, see if the wheel spins more freely. The wheel should certainly spin more than a couple rotations, depending on how hard you spin it, and then come gradually to a stop. I believe that the spacers are the same width on either side of the wheel, so this shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 PM

ORIGINAL: zerochickenstrips

When you re-installed your axle, did you set your forks in by rolling forward and backwards and hitting the brakes each time? You should do this before you tighten your pinch bolts otherwise you could cause the forks to be tweaked a little bit which would therefore cause your brake calipers to be mis-aligned. Jack up the front again and loosen the pinch bolts. See if either of the forks pop outward. If they do, then they were just pulled in a little bit. Either way, once the pinch bolts are loosened, see if the wheel spins more freely. The wheel should certainly spin more than a couple rotations, depending on how hard you spin it, and then come gradually to a stop. I believe that the spacers are the same width on either side of the wheel, so this shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Thank you, this is what I was hoping for. I'm guessing it has to be something with the calipers. When the pinch bolts are loosened, there is a signifigant increase of the tire rotating more freely. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!