General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bill of sale, no title

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bill of sale, no title

hey, i've been looking around for bikes again (jesus, i know) but looking for a nice lil stunter - i think i found one (plus it's a suzuki, so i get to F up a POS muhaha) i'm actually still just looking around, there has been alot that caught my eye but hey - i got all winter, i think vegas is going to be pretty nice.

well back to the subject, it's been awhile since i dealt with titles and bill of sales. and this guy has an already made 03 GSXR600 stunter - it was a track bike but turned into a stunter, but it has no title only a bill of sale.

I know there is alot of things that could of happened to it, could of been built up from a frame with no title or it could be stolen (which scares me) I mean it's still rusty in my head but would it be a bad thing to buy this bike? (2.7K but he says "make an offer" so probbly can get it for 2.1K cash)

but just want to know about the title and bill of sale really - i need reteaching from the wise (i searched thru the history - nothing)

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bill of sale, no title

bos just says that he bought the bike from someone...but as far as ownership, someone else may still own the bike. buy at own risk.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Yeah...sounds pretty sketchy to me. If you offered him a ridiculously lower price than he's asking and he takes it you can be sure that something's wrong. I've never heard of a bike with no title whatsoever. You could easily be buying stolen property and then when they find you out have the bike taken away and be fined or charged. It's really not worth the risk, imo.

And of course without a title you'll never be able to ride it on the street and will probably have a hard time reselling it because ppl will be wary just like you are now.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I ♥ CBRF

My first bike was with out a Title. Guy was in the Army and forgot where it was last registered and lost the title. Call the DMV and see if there are any liens or if the VIN shows to be stolen. No liensmeans no future problems. Not sure what your state laws are but heres what I had to do in TX:
1. Hit the DMV to fill out a Bonded Title package. My fee for that was $2.50
2. The DMV will give you the Black Book value for the bike (Black book is the value of the bike in MINT condition NOT what you paid)
3. Buya SurretyBondfor % of the value the DMV gave you. (they appraise it at $5000 the bond will be about 10% of that...$500 bucks)
4. Go back to the DMV with Bond paperwork and apply for title and registration. (FYI - I had to get bike inspected before they would issue a title)
Sounds worse then it really was. Got mine done in a day. After 2 years the bonded title is released and you get a new title that is no longer bonded. Title was clear blue but states its bonded. Hope that long write up helps.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM

yeah, it seems alittle fishy saying make offer. he could of just stole it, did alittle crappy paint and now trying to make some money on it. Should i go check it out for the VIN # just to see if it's stolen anyways?

Im still looking around tho, seen01's 02'sfor under $3,300. so i'll probbly keep looking, just really wanted to know about the no title thing (a nice memory refresher)

1. Hit the DMV to fill out a Bonded Title package. My fee for that was $2.50
2. The DMV will give you the Black Book value for the bike (Black book is the value of the bike in MINT condition NOT what you paid)
3. Buya SurretyBondfor % of the value the DMV gave you. (they appraise it at $5000 the bond will be about 10% of that...$500 bucks)
4. Go back to the DMV with Bond paperwork and apply for title and registration. (FYI - I had to get bike inspected before they would issue a title)
haha black book value.. i love how that is, DMV is such a bunch of greedy ******. oh well, yeah black book for a 03 gsxr would probbly be more then $5K

thanks for the helps guys

Old 08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

deffinetly start off by checking with local dmv and police. make sure the bike is not stolen and if you can find out who the RO is (registered owner) then you may be able to contact them and have them fill out a relase of liability . then after the bike is out of the previous owners name take the bill of sale from the current "owner" and goto dmv and do a register without title, then apply for a duplicate title .. dmv will contact the previous owner and if you get all the current "owners" info (copy of DL, phone # etc) give that to the dmv as well and let them do the rough work and it might take a few weeks but in the end you should come out fine and clear

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM

There are a lot of bikes now days being purchased this way. The main part is that thesecould beinsurance salvage and the state sometimes issues only a salvage title or I have ssen the state holds the title until the new owner has it inspected for safety and only issues a reconstructed title. As we all know it differs from each state. Get theVIN and have your local PD look up the VIN and they can tell you if it is stolen or not. I can stronglythink that you don't want to buy your self legal trouble. Go and look up a site called salvage direct and this will give you a insight about this kinda of thing. Alot of racers do purchase this way and sell latter the same way. Good Luck