Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

no title bike but has bill of sale, should i still buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no title bike but has bill of sale, should i still buy it?

hi guys i'm planning on buying a somewhat damaged f2 but the circumstances are kind of confusing.

The guy that has it now, got the bike from an estate he bought. He doesn't have the title but he does have a bill of sale as well as some other paperwork.

He doesn't know if the bike will run or not, or if anything has happened to it but the plastics do have some damage

I don't mind it since he's planning on selling it for 600, I could simply buy parts and repair it but wondering if I do go through with buying it, would I be able to somehow obtain the title with the bill of sale or through other means?

any advice or opinions will help, thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM

oi thats a rather squirley proposition for you mate.
you see, the seller might not be the real owner for starters, and say that he is, its going to be a rather large pain the **** to try and register a title to your name later on.
if you put off getting a title and wait ,say, till you need current tags or apply for insurance, you could be facing delinquent penalty chargers for not reporting your purchase of said F2 to your state tax office. i'm not too sure about all states, but most require you sign over the title of any sold vehicle to yourself in 20 or less working business days mate. thats ganna be a feat without a title in hand.
I say no go buddy boy. there are plenty a salvage motors to be found!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM

You really need to research the process with your state.

In VA I bought a bike without a title, followed the abandoned vehicle procedure, and had a completely clear title in 30 days and it cost me next to nothing.

Do some research on your DMV site.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM

that guy that has it now told me he isn't the owner and doesn't know who is but i'm going to follow up on the dmv and inspect the bike myself with a few others as well

thanks for the reply guys

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Deltemis
he isn't the owner and doesn't know who is
WALK AWAY. Does that not send up a big fat red flag that it could be a hot bike...as in stolen? Do you really want to risk being charged with possession of stolen property? Just wait and save up a little more dough and go for something a bit more legit like a salvage title bike...word of advice, avoid "no title" bikes like the plague.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly ... STOLEN!!!! Either walk away or at best contact the cops and let them do their job!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM

get the vin and check it...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the VIN number to see if it is stolen. In MI you can have them run the VIN to see if there are any leins or if it's hot. If not you can get a title for it If the bill of sale says it less than $500 or something like that.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

yeap the bike was stolen hehe
good call guys, thanks for the info

Quick Reply: no title bike but has bill of sale, should i still buy it?